Estate sale find "Demijohn"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
It sure is a crude one , but does not look all that old to me regardless of the crudeness . Can't say I have seen a pontiled bottle that had any kind of lettering on the botton of the bottle although there could be many I suppose , I am no export either , just my opinion .

DaddyDaughterDiggers

Reaction score
Thanks for The replies NHGlass and LC. I sorta was thinking the same when it comes to the Glass texture and the Y on the Base.

LC

Reaction score
I hope we are both wrong Rollan and it ends up being a DANDY !

epackage

Reaction score
I'm getting told it's not a period piece either, it's still a great looking piece, so if you got it at a decent price and you like it I'd say it's a good thing Lona...

epackage

Reaction score
Then I say you should have had a mask & gun because I think you stole it. I would have paid maybe 10x that for it just to put it in my picture window so my neighbors get jealous...[;)]

nhglass

Reaction score
How tall is the demijohn ? I like it regardless of its age. if you consider selling it, please let me know, thanks [:)]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well everyone: I have collected and studied a lot of demijohns. Right now I probably still have fifty or so of them. I got into them to recognize the marks of early glass making workings. It just so happens that I have a very similar one here in my bottle den. It is similar in color and rib construction, but the ribs show up the best in the neck. It also has a similar pontil mark. I have always considered this one being a Mid Western Early American Demijohn. Unable to know otherwise.
I have demijohns that I realize were blown in wooden molds, ceramic molds, with cooling contact bars, and one even has a clamped tool bar on the side of the neck for straightening the neck.
Having gotten this one for that price, is just great and keeping it makes a lot of sense, if for no other reason than to sell it for that boy's college fund. I am not in a financial stability to make an offer for it, and I can never set values, because with the many bottles I have had and have seen sell, the price is what someone is willing to give up to have it. Take it to some bottle club shows and listen to the offers of the people with more money than brains.
Check my home page, there is a blog there on demijohns. RED Matthews

antlerman23

Reaction score
i have seen pontilled bottles with embossing on the base before, so that doesnt deter me. the color kind of looks like a "new blue" to me, not the blue that you see in pontilled bottles.
i would consider it old, and very valuble.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu