Ethics Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
So today I found an abandoned house. It is in the woods. On what used to be the lawn, there are two milk crates full of bottles. The house has two partially collapsed sheds. There is also an old toy truck in one of them. There are lots of newspapers from the mid 90s in the sheds. The property isn't posted, but the house is. My Dad says it is wrong to take the bottles, because somebody still technically owns the house. I want your guy's input. Is it wrong? Probably. But what would you do?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Your dad is correct, plain and simple. Even if the property is in some sort of foreclosure, you don't own it and don't have permission. Get that and it's another story.

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
I would ask the current owners( maybe it is the bank or city) if you can clean up the trash around the house as this would definitely make it more attractive for the neighborhood and neighbors...( even for resale). I would also mention that there are some things that could be recycled and you would be happy to handle that too. I would ask to even go into the house but that might be denied...its ok, as the bottles outside would be legitimately yours. Some effort would be involved, but if the bottles are indeed decent, it would be worth it. WGA

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I'm going to try to hunt down the owner and try to get the go ahead to take stuff.

botlguy

Reaction score
A picture comes to my mind of those Cop shows where they leave a running car in a rough neighborhood and bust the brain dead idiots who steal it. [8D] On every and all levels it's WRONG ! Easiest way to decide: What would you think if YOU were the property owner? Ask for permission. Jim

goodman1966

Reaction score
Get permission, it's the only way. Plus it won't give others in the hobby a bad reputation. ++ it could lead to other finds and a new friend !

splante

Reaction score
westernglassaddict said:
I would ask the current owners( maybe it is the bank or city) if you can clean up the trash around the house as this would definitely make it more attractive for the neighborhood and neighbors...( even for resale). I would also mention that there are some things that could be recycled and you would be happy to handle that too. I would ask to even go into the house but that might be denied...its ok, as the bottles outside would be legitimately yours. Some effort would be involved, but if the bottles are indeed decent, it would be worth it. WGA
We have a winner,,perfect answer

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18