ever dug up any live animals?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

groundsloth

Reaction score
Yeah, yellow jackets are a pain. I've found many of the same as listed above. Was wondering if any western diggers ever encountered a Gila Monster or something out of the ordinary from New England.

goodman1966

Reaction score
Being only a stones throw from east Texas I've dug up a couple of scorpions ! Thought one was a shard and almost picked it up until I saw its tail curl up !

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Do groundhogs count??? I found four little ones in a hole once, and had to abandon it for a couple months before they grew up and left.

Bixel

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am not a fan of snakes. I was digging in a dump in early spring one time. The dump is only a couple feet deep, and I was moving forward in it with about a 2 foot wall of dump in front of me that I was slowly making my way through. At one point, I had stuck my head right down deep in the whole, looking at some shards or bottles coming out. There was a tin can right beside my head ,which I had knocked the end off so it was open. This was only a few inches from my face at this point. I look to the side, and notice movement. It alarmed me and I jumped back knowing what I had seen. A snake, curled up in this open ended tin can. Upon saying some less that appropriate words all the while my buddy laughs behind me, I decided to jump to another hole to let my little "friend" wake from his winter slumber and go on his way. I still dont like snakes.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Man, I hope I never dig up a nest of yellowjackets. I'm fine with spiders, snakes, and all the usual phobia-inducing creepy-crawlies, but not wasps. Those things freak me out.

tigue710

Reaction score
Found and emancipatedpated Punxsutawney Phil on the bank of the Thames in Norwich Connecticut one winter, he was not ready to be freed from his winter rest. We packed himin with leaves, built a tunnel and borrow back around him and buried him back in under a foot or two of dirt. Not sure if he made it, hope he did. http://vid167.photobucket.com/albums/u143/tigue710/VIDS/MVI_3519.mp4

JustGlass

Reaction score
I was just starting to under cut a river bank with a hand thrall looking for arrowheads when I started finding bits of bone and broken pottery. My brother said I wouldn't dig there it might a burial site and cursed. I told him it's just animal and fish bones. I no more then said that when a couple of yellow jackets few out toward my face. I was feeling lucky that I didn't get stung and as I dug the thrall under the bank a mouse jumped out and landed on my chest. My son and brother laughed so hard and said you should have seen the look on your face. That scared the crap out of me and I decided to dig in a different location and leave that bee.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac