exploring stories?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
holy cow glass man. That'd not be a fun situation to be in!

Many places to explore up here. I was MD'ing at the top fo Millie Hill (vent shaft for an iron mine). Not finding much other than some "clad" (current coinage) and some .22 shells. As you walk down the path on the spine of the hill the ground slopes quite a bit on both sides. Found some bottles and forks/knives/spoons on a flat spot of the slope I was working down. Kept going and ended up at the bottom of the slope on a flat, open grassy area. Old house 20' from me tucked into the edge of the pines. Had no time to explore. (was getting dark, the bats come out....like...thousands of them.) will be going back this spring.

Friend and I were offered a chance to dig the small creek and the area around it next to his house. there's a 15-20' small hill 20-30yds from the creek we walked up. Was a hotel from the 1800's. The town was then moved 1/2mile down the road to be closer to the RR tracks and the hotel sat until it rotted.

Too much foliage there to do much serious exploring/digging. Foliage is gone now and the creek is frozen muck. Will be going back there as soon as the snow melts. Ppl we have permission from live right where the town commons bldg was. They said that when the foliage hasn't come up yet in the spring, there are bottles strewn all over the place.

We did some exploring and found one of the hotel's dump sites. We were still busting through the rock and broken up cement hunks when the weather went bad. We also found remains of an old bunkhouse that was there right next to the RR tracks. We have permission to find the privy and dig that too.....
There's a huge farm behind the train tracks across the part of the creek that runs there...you can see crumbled foundation, destroyed old barn wood...looks like where an old farmhouse used to be. On google maps there is a faint road going to there with a circle drive. The house is now at the front of the land near the road.

Have found old logging/hunter caves on the shore of Lake Superior. Cousin and I would strap on snowshoes and go rabbit hunting. He took me to one of the caves and we spent the night there. It had a very small woodstove, tin pie plates to eat off of and tin silverware.

Many mine ruins to explore at the inlaws in the Copper Country (2hrs north of here).

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: frozenmonkeyface

What?? You can tell the story! It's my thread! Haha

OK here goes

My buddy Paul and I have been trying to get permission to this early 1800s house for a while. The lady that lives there is now 97 years old. The first time we knocked on the door to ask permission she let us inside. She didn't know us from Adam but she was open and friendly. She really liked our hobby of bottle digging. I showed her pictures,the story's that I wrote and let her know how many places we dug in the town she lived in.Plus we know a lot of the people she knew.When I popped the question about digging on her property she said " ohhh well not right now" I thought we had this one in the bag? But as we talked more I realized she had something against people digging on her land. She kept saying "PPL ruined my land" I didn't go to far into it because she might change her mind later. So we left it at that.She did say we could look on the hill behind her house for bottles.Not what we wanted but it would have to do.
Oh I forgot to mention,she said we could dig the privy's when she died. That had to be the weirdest permission I ever got. But we will take her up on that.[:D]

A few months after we visited the old lady, we were sitting in the Library in the town she lives in. we were doing research on different homes we had permission to dig. The subject came up about the old lady and it turned out the librarian knew the lady well.(small town) She went on to tell us a little historic information about her house. In the conversation the librarian mentioned the old lady was in South America visiting family. She said she will be there for a few more months.

After the library we decided to go check out the hill behind her house. That building always had a eery emptiness about it. Even when she was home. It was a three story home built of half brick and half stone.The house sat back, far off the road it was surrounded by a 15 foot tall bamboo jungle. You could not see the house from the road. it sits on a hill over looking an old canal,dug in the late 1700s.

The day we went to check out the area I noticed a sort of root cellar in the side of the hill. The front of it was in real bad shape.The wood was caved in,and the inside had all kinds of junk in it from years ago.Creepy. I did see some glass and even a whole bottle.Paul was just starting to look in. (not going in just looking) when all of the sudden I heard this "tapping" I looked toward the house and saw this creepy white image with long white hair in the third floor window. The hair stood up on my arms and I was real freaked out. Was it the old lady? Didn't the Librarian say she was in South America? Scared the crap out of me.

Hate to say it but we need to go back and check to see if she died,Its been a year. Hey she said it not me [:D]

ironmountain

Reaction score
crazy story!

Wife wanted to sell our recently purchased Sole Elliptical because the Y finally was finished and open and we'd be there. Put it on CL and the guy that contacted me ended up being one of wife's old high school teachers, as well as her track coach for four years (helped her win state 4yrs in a row). He lives near the inlaws and gave me his address,phone# and email to contact him this summer. He digs and mds and he knows where some mining camps and shaft entrances are at that are extremely grown over. Said to bring a machete. Going to definitely hit him up this summer.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch