F & S Ltd, StH beer bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mudlani

Reaction score
I found this bottle in Vancouver a couple of months ago, and wasn't able to identify it online until today. Toulouse ("Bottle Makers and their Marks") mentions the base embossing and that the StH referred to St Helens in the UK, but was unable to identify the manufacturer. I contacted Stephen Wainwright, a historian from St Helens, and he thought it might be Forster & Sons Ltd. A newspaper search turned up mentions of this company from 1906 until they changed their name in 1919, which is the right time frame. Stephen also sent
this photo of Forster & Sons (ca. 1900) workers using Boucher semi-automatic bottle machines with John Forster looking on in the black suit and moustache. I've no idea the type or brand of beer it contained, but I'd say mystery solved.
Forster & Sons ca 1900.jpg

Attachments

• F&S StH bottle.jpg
    F&S StH bottle.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 168
  • F&S.jpg
    F&S.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 181

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Look at the employees. Talk about child labor. Somehow I don't think they ate at the company cafe. A great historical lesson in many ways from this shot of bottle making history. Thanks for sharing it.

Mudlani

Reaction score
Look at the employees. Talk about child labor. Somehow I don't think they ate at the company cafe. A great historical lesson in many ways from this shot of bottle making history. Thanks for sharing it.
Yup. When I come across wonky looking/sloppily made old bottles, I imagine they were made by disgruntled workers.

Reactions: Len

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis