Facebook Braggers Be Like...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrcure

Reaction score
It's Monday...so I found time to gather up my pontilled 1800s collection that I inherited and dug in the 1980s and snapped a phot for you all. Be jealous!

It's Tuesday! Take a look at my 5 labeled stoneware gallon jugs!!!

It's Wednesday, does anyone want to see some of my cool, labeled meds from an abandoned drug store I raided in the 1960s? This is a collection like no other.

Thursday, you know what that means! Thursday is for rare insulators. Just please don't post ones you found on the ground, only ones you've cut from poles yourself.

It's Friday! No theme, no problem. You can ask away what the "value" of your cheap bottle is all day. Who cares that your father passed it onto you, we as bottle hunters only care about pricing and rarity.

Obviously I'm full of satire and bullshit today, but you get my point. This hobby is full of people who are obsessed with monetary value and those who spend more time making the rest of us jealous than actually giving good info to those who want to get into the hobby.

Given this, it's nice to be part of this forum where people aren't SO full of themselves.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Anyone who places value as opposed to historical fascination as their primary reason for looking for/collecting bottles isn't that interested in bottles, they're interested in money. I feel bad for these people because when they look at their collection they're not really seeing anything more than glass and dollar signs. A real collector doesn't see glass, he sees people, places, and stories from a time long ago - the bottle being merly the tangible artifact and proof that this time existed and isn't just some fabrication of the imagination.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Oh, please! "...obsessed with monetary value... making the rest of us jealous...." "A real collector doesn't see glass, he sees people, places, and stories...." What twaddle.

Every serious collector knows it's all about esthetics . . . the creativity and skills of those early gaffers . . . the durability and uniqueness of their production. Collecting bottles is like collecting first editions or paintings by recognized artists -- You can't do anything with them except admire them. If you have to spend money to indulge your senses, that's just incidental. If you have to sell one for whatever reason, that's reality.
We never acquire every first edition or every antique bottle that would "complete" our collection, so there is always some turnover among collectors. The common medium of exchange is cash. Get over it.

Last edited:

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad you're a minority collector as I'm sure if this is the attitude of the people who collect bottles the hobby would have died out long ago, or at a minimum I wouldn't be involved in it. Where are your examples of this kind of activity. If this is your OPINION, why are you bothering the "OBSESSED"? The only folks I notice that are "OBSESSED" with value are the folks who only want to sell bottles. In reality they really aren't collectors. Your post only alienates good collectors who are also good people. Voicing such opinions on any public forum is in my opinion is reckless and immature. You are right it is nice to belong to "be part of this forum where people aren't SO full of themselves". Why can't you be more like that yourself?

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Mr. Cure was being sarcastic & talking about people on FaceBook, not himself. I've met him in Person & a really nice guy that is not into it for Money but for the History & the Fun of Digging. Maybe some people taking his comments the wrong way or to serious. LEON.

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
I remember when I first got interested in bottles. It wasn't that long ago. When a "ghost sign" of Faygo Orange Pop was uncovered on a building in Detroit, I became fascinated with the old design of something so familiar, that I had never seen before. I searched eBay until I was able to acquire an example of one.
I found the old version of this site and became lost in all the old posts and photos of Pepsi, 7up, Royal Crown cola and a hundred others I had never heard of. I have pictures saved of groups of bottles I use as a screen saver. I bought the ACL book, and learned what I was really missing. I love bottles with Native Americans, women and girls, cowboys/horses, airplanes.
I'm having trouble finding bottles with cars. What's up with that? It HAS to be deliberate.
Plenty of new members here post pics of their cherished collections of well worn 1980s Coca Cola and 7up bottles, hoping they have great value, which is cool, and everyone gives them likes and encouragement on their display. That is what this hobby is about, but we shouldn't feel bad about showing what we love about the hobby and sharing what our collections can become. Make me jealous!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Mr. Cure was being sarcastic & talking about people on FaceBook, not himself. I've met him in Person & a really nice guy that is not into it for Money but for the History & the Fun of Digging. Maybe some people taking his comments the wrong way or to serious. LEON.
I saw his post on a facebook group and it was even less appropriate there. Glad you are sticking up for them. That goes a long way in my book.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Some truth is to be found in all the previous various posts here. (I stay away from Facebook.) The only thing I find slightly curious is how ordered he is with the days of the week for... --Some say "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." Maybe elsewhere but I'm not so sure it fully applies here. No biggie either way.

mrcure

Reaction score
@UncleBruce I understand your sentiment. The thrill of any hobby always starts with the unknown and the want for more. I'm not disappointed I don't have a huge horde of 1800s bottles. This satire wasn't directed at any single person.

@hemihampton I may be super cheeky but I definitely mean well . It's the half German half English in me. Still trying to figure out how to perfect the documentation part of things. Someone on here recently mentioned the YouTube channel Below the Plains-they do a pretty good bite-sized approach to documentation and are a good model for what I would like to do long term. I hope all is well your way as always-speaking of which, I think you guys are due for an update on the city digging site-however fruitful.

@M.C.Glass very well spoken-a touch back to reality from the joking. I have to agree that healthy jealousy and friendly competition are a good thing in the long term. I don't mind drooling at things I will never own because that's magical by itself sometimes-that I won't dig where the UK diggers do and vice versa. That I can admire a yacht and not feel like I need to own it outright is fine with me.

@UnderMiner also well said as always. I suppose it's up to us to inspire that childlike fascination with history and storytelling, huh? Be the change you want to see.

Lastly, I'd just like to say that the knowledge, laughs, and love that has been shared here as long as I've been here (even in this comment section) has been incredible. There truly aren't enough good people like some of the elders and newbies here. You've given me some of the best advice in collecting and in life .

UnderMiner

Reaction score
@UncleBruce I understand your sentiment. The thrill of any hobby always starts with the unknown and the want for more. I'm not disappointed I don't have a huge horde of 1800s bottles. This satire wasn't directed at any single person.

@hemihampton I may be super cheeky but I definitely mean well . It's the half German half English in me. Still trying to figure out how to perfect the documentation part of things. Someone on here recently mentioned the YouTube channel Below the Plains-they do a pretty good bite-sized approach to documentation and are a good model for what I would like to do long term. I hope all is well your way as always-speaking of which, I think you guys are due for an update on the city digging site-however fruitful.

@M.C.Glass very well spoken-a touch back to reality from the joking. I have to agree that healthy jealousy and friendly competition are a good thing in the long term. I don't mind drooling at things I will never own because that's magical by itself sometimes-that I won't dig where the UK diggers do and vice versa. That I can admire a yacht and not feel like I need to own it outright is fine with me.

@UnderMiner also well said as always. I suppose it's up to us to inspire that childlike fascination with history and storytelling, huh? Be the change you want to see.

Lastly, I'd just like to say that the knowledge, laughs, and love that has been shared here as long as I've been here (even in this comment section) has been incredible. There truly aren't enough good people like some of the elders and newbies here. You've given me some of the best advice in collecting and in life .

Well said.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu