fair price?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

butchndad

Reaction score
i'm new to collecting and although i haven't bought any bottles yet, i know in time i will. What do you think is a fair price to pay for an "average", nothing particularly unique pontil? And what about a typical amber blob top (again nothing unique or special)? Thanks

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
The value is determined by supply and demand. Values are increased dramatically when the bottler or maker is identifiable. Color can make a huge difference in value, as will condition. The type of pontil mark is also a factor. To summarize, You might find a damaged pontilled common shape in aqua for a few dollars, or a listed flask or bitters in an odd color for tens of thousands. There are three things you can do- Go to shows, subscribe to a bottle magazine, and join a bottle club if you can find one in your area. The Antique Bottle and Glass Collector is a good magazine and will have some shows and clubs listed.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Collect what you like. Like what you collect. Remember, while bottles are interesting they are just stuff. 99.9% of the world would not look twice at a bottle even if it were old. The true treasure is the friendships. Collect friends along the way. There are a lot of great folks who collect. Several hang out here.

opmustard

Reaction score
Have two Giessen o/p mustard jars that are exactly the same, both excellent condition. However, one the embossing is almost non-existent. Been offered close to $200.00 on the strongly embossed one and maybe $20.00 on other one.
As all the previous posts are correct, this example of the Giessens are a good example of what embossing can do for the price of a bottle.
Should you collect pontiled bottles with no embossing? Yes, if that is what you like.
I have many bottles that aren't embossed and I love them, make great bottles for my collection, usually cost less, some of colors and shapes are breath taking.
opmustard

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi