Fall Finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Returned to a site I've explored several times before. The river bank in this area has a moderate slope for some 15', then drops off vertically. There's a large stretch of very old rock pour along some 500' of the bank & over successive dives, I've picked various levels to investigate. At the point where the rock pour ends I found the Reinhardt & Co. quart with the hand-finished top - I now have the pint ( with crown top ), & another quart ( with a Baltimore Loop style top ).

On my return leg of the dive, I was once again traversing over the rock pour when , at the limit of my vision, I thought I spied a crock, sitting upright, on a field of rounded stone - I was delightfully surprised & somewhat taken aback, as I was sure I'd traversed this same path on previous dives. Nonetheless, I tucked her under my arm ( it was complete - no structural damage, which further flummoxed me! ), switched my scooter control to my opposite hand and headed for shore, still puzzling at how I ( and my buddy, whose made more dives than me in this area ), had missed this crock on previous dives.

The little amber ink was the sole find of my 2nd dive, but that was fine - she'd been a great dive-day already!

Attachments

• Fall Finds.jpg
    Fall Finds.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 88

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Returned to a site I've explored several times before. The river bank in this area has a moderate slope for some 15', then drops off vertically. There's a large stretch of very old rock pour along some 500' of the bank & over successive dives, I've picked various levels to investigate. At the point where the rock pour ends I found the Reinhardt & Co. quart with the hand-finished top - I now have the pint ( with crown top ), & another quart ( with a Baltimore Loop style top ).

On my return leg of the dive, I was once again traversing over the rock pour when , at the limit of my vision, I thought I spied a crock, sitting upright, on a field of rounded stone - I was delightfully surprised & somewhat taken aback, as I was sure I'd traversed this same path on previous dives. Nonetheless, I tucked her under my arm ( it was complete - no structural damage, which further flummoxed me! ), switched my scooter control to my opposite hand and headed for shore, still puzzling at how I ( and my buddy, whose made more dives than me in this area ), had missed this crock on previous dives.

The little amber ink was the sole find of my 2nd dive, but that was fine - she'd been a great dive-day already!
Was thinking about taking scuba lessons. Do you just look for things you see or use something like a clam rake.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Maybe you missed the Crock because it looked like a Rock? Nice finds. Congrats. LEON.
Same thought, from most angles that jug is the same shape/color/texture as most rocks especially when viewed in less than ideal visibility.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Was thinking about taking scuba lessons. Do you just look for things you see or use something like a clam rake.
At times I will move away bottom sediments in search of items, but there are down-sides to the process. Visibility typically gets clouded, unless there is current to move it away. We're often searching by 'braille' in these circumstances. Air supply gets eaten up quicker due to the increased work load, so you need to keep a close eye on your cylinder pressure. On average, I might dig 10% of my time underwater, the balance being slow, careful searching, often for considerable distances.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Maybe you missed the Crock because it looked like a Rock? Nice finds. Congrats. LEON.
I like that rhyme! And no, it wasn't camouflaged amongst the rock, it was more about looking left when I needed to be looking to the right, or vice-versa. The visibility is also key; there are times when I can't see too far ahead and would simply swim right by it. It's why we re-search areas so often; that, and the fact that strong currents can shift the bottom material around, exposing items that were previously buried.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch