Fantastic McCallums Scot green bottle at garage sale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hamco

Reaction score
Found this gem at a local garbage sale/ garage sale where you get to dig through boxes in sheds and the garage. Found several tooled lipped slicks and early large slick brown blob tops then saw this dusty jewel in a box. Best dollar I've spent in awhile.
IMG_2165.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Great embossing on that one! I guess it's an ABM bottle based on the base, would never have guessed that looking at the rest of the bottle. Those UK ABM bottles can have so much more character than ours do. I wouldn't mind finding ABM bottles as much if that's what ours looked like!

Hamco

Reaction score
Wouldn't have pegged it as an ABM but a BIM with a tooled lip - I was excited to see one sell at auction for $375 a few years back. I love small town sales

Last edited:

Hamco

Reaction score
Great embossing on that one! I guess it's an ABM bottle based on the base, would never have guessed that looking at the rest of the bottle. Those UK ABM bottles can have so much more character than ours do. I wouldn't mind finding ABM bottles as much if that's what ours looked like!
Yes I was able to look at it in the direct sunlight and backlit I can see the very faintest lines running up to the top. The trail of glass running down the front from the top made me think it was tooled (I said applied but again used the wrong term) I found mention of early ABM machines having sloppy tops so I guess that is what is going on here. I am still amazed somebody paid $445 Canadian for another one a few years back in an online auction. In an old Ant-Bots post from 2009 a member there said the same bottle was worth about $5. I guess the old adage "something is only worth what someone else will pay for it" is the best guide to monetary valuation, However; I still get my greatest value out of looking at beautiful antique glass in the sunlight.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yes I was able to look at it in the direct sunlight and backlit I can see the very faintest lines running up to the top. The trail of glass running down the front from the top made me think it was tooled (I said applied but again used the wrong term) I found mention of early ABM machines having sloppy tops so I guess that is what is going on here. I am still amazed somebody paid $445 Canadian for another one a few years back in an online auction. In an old Ant-Bots post from 2009 a member there said the same bottle was worth about $5. I guess the old adage "something is only worth what someone else will pay for it" is the best guide to monetary valuation, However; I still get my greatest value out of looking at beautiful antique glass in the sunlight.
The early UK ABM techniques were a whole different thing than the ones that we were using over here. They still have a seam running to the top and a suction scar on the base, but other than that the results were totally different, with the bottles at first being very sloppy and antique-looking. I've seen some UK bottles that look ancient, but actually barely predate WWII.
And yeah that $445 value sounds pretty off to me. Almost no 20th century bottles are worth that much apart from a small handful of highly collectible sodas and milks. Are you sure it wasn't one with the original contents? Otherwise maybe a couple of particularly rich individuals both really wanted to buy one at that moment for some reason. But typically I wouldn't expect to see the value of a bottle like that top $20, even though as you say it's a beautiful bottle to put up in the window and has fantastic embossing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown