Farmhouse bottle dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Walker1200

Reaction score
Good point, I will certainly keep an eye out for that, and protect myself.

Walker1200

Reaction score
That would be enough to hold my interest in the property. That you know it dates into mid-nineteenth century should keep you motivated to find older dump areas.

If you have a machine available, metal detect to find hidden concentrations in low and/or marshy spots, tangled briars, stump piles and etc. Any waste ground or an out-of-the-way areas that the original farmers would have found convenient and a logical place to dispose of trash.

I do have a detector or 5, so I will certainly take your advice and use that in my searches. Thanks!

-Kerry

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Be careful digging farm dumps.
I was once warned by farm owner that the dump at his family farm, although old and containing a lot of good bottles, also contained lots of poisonous agricultural chemicals from the late 40s and 50s.
Just be aware.

Yes this is why I sometimes am wary to dig the newer dumps (post 1930), even if they do have milk bottle or soda potential, as this was the case with most of them. A farmer I know said that the dump on his farm during that era also had film developer chemicals in it. Nasty stuff. Be aware for metal barrel drums as these are usually a sign of toxic chemicals that were dumped in close proximity.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi