Favourites Shelf

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Those (silver?) cups are amazing
Yes, nearly all of those silver artifacts on that shelf came from a large hoard I dug many years back when I did full time treasure hunting.

During WWII many millions of dollars in family silver was plundered from people's homes by the various forces - German, Soviet, American, etc. Many untold hoards of this variety were buried all over Europe and forgoten.

The candle stick at the end on the right for example is 13 Loth (81.2%) silver from 1820's Austrian Empire, the cup next to it is the same. Most of the silver is of German, Polish, Russian, and Austrian origin from the early 19th to early 20th century.

Jake2150

Reaction score
Yes, nearly all of those silver artifacts on that shelf came from a large hoard I dug many years back when I did full time treasure hunting.

During WWII many millions of dollars in family silver was plundered from people's homes by the various forces - German, Soviet, American, etc. Many untold hoards of this variety were buried all over Europe and forgoten.

The candle stick at the end on the right for example is 13 Loth (81.2%) silver from 1820's Austrian Empire, the cup next to it is the same. Most of the silver is of German, Polish, Russian, and Austrian origin from the early 19th to early 20th century.
Amazing, just showed this to my kids. My wife’s family was displaced from Poland during WWII. Thanks for sharing this

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Amazing, just showed this to my kids. My wife’s family was displaced from Poland during WWII. Thanks for sharing this
You're welcome. I found a few interesting relics from Poland that came from the war. A silver candelabra from Krakow and one of the orginal 1939-issued brass coat of arms from the City of Gdańsk to name a couple. These are both posted on my account on Treasurenet, my original stomping ground before I discovered the interesting world of bottle collecting here.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
These are some old pictures from when I was first starting in bottles. Before then I had been a hardcore treasure hunter - so there's alot more treasure artifacts on the shelves than bottles. I have more display cases nowadays for the bottles and alot more varieties than pictured here. I don't know why I haven't taken any photos lately, will do so and share one of these days.
View attachment 238756
View attachment 238758
View attachment 238762
I like painting the more common bottles while leaving the rare ones as they were found. I think the older and rarer bottles look interesting when placed near or among artifacts from the same time period instead of just with other bottles, it gives a greater perspective on the time period imo. Like the first image above the bottle with the two X's is from the same year as the sword behind it and the silver spoon in front of it. A snapshot of life in 1850 America if you will. The pepper shaker on the left of it is from 1718, so I'll need a golden age of piracy onion bottle one of these days to go with it, I'll keep looking.

The main late-19th century medium blob top shelf as it looks today.
20220730_001408.jpg

And here is a small random mixed things shelf:
20220730_152325.jpg

We got the little A. Liebler beer bottle on the far left, behind it is Square Bottle Whiskey from Scotland with a candle shoved in its top, my original Dundee Marmalade jar with the holes, brown bottle in the back is a whiskey jug, Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root, Gallagher Stores whiskey flask, and in the back the beautiful James Buchanan & co whiskey.
James Buchanan whiskey when found:
20220730_162300.jpg

I'll take pictures of my bigger display cases later. Oh and if you were curious the big brass ship wheel is a Rosebank Ironworks from Edinburgh. I salvaged that from the sea, took me ages to get it that shiny.

Last edited:

Bottlebot

Reaction score

Oldsdigger

Reaction score
I find myself returning to these pictures.
Congratulations this is a beautiful picture.
Hi Ray ! Just to tease you a little more ! I did these pictures a few nights ago with some new Maseter inks and Ink wells I just recieved. Oh and the new pepper sauces I started a few months ago.

Attachments

• 20220825_183426.jpg
    20220825_183426.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220825_183548.jpg
    20220825_183548.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220830_221352.jpg
    20220830_221352.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 114

Roy

Reaction score
Hi Ray ! Just to tease you a little more ! I did these pictures a few nights ago with some new Maseter inks and Ink wells I just recieved. Oh and the new pepper sauces I started a few months ago.
Some beauty's there but you better get ready to catch that green pepper sauce when it falls over... Roy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18