Faygo "Ghost sign" recreated at Faygo plant

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
Faygo has been a staple of the Detroit pop market for over a hundred years. You may recall, about 2012, a building burned and was knocked down revealing a 1940's sign painted on the building next door. It caused a bit of a stir in nostalgic circles, and it was featured on the cover of Soda Spectrum magazine. But unfortunately, before too long the local chapter of Destroy, Inc. had their way with it.
Recently though, I drove by the Faygo plant and saw that they had recreated the sign on their building on Gratiot Ave for all south bounders to enjoy. Bravo! Sorry, it's through a crack in my windshield, I couldn't see my phone too well at the time.
Mt Elliot ghost sign.jpgSoda Spectrum.jpg
IMG_1034a.jpgFaygo small.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
I remember that. It was sad. Typical of Detroit. At least the recreation is cool.

Eric

Reaction score
Just wow... can't believe that was vandalized... no respect... That depresses me... Note the new mural on the building is up high to make it harder for this type of person to ruin.

Thanks for posting this.... I think I'm gonna draw it too.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I took a picture of that in 2012 when I first seen it. At that time never seen a pic of it anywhere. Now I see it ever where. There was another Faygo wall painted only about 1/4 mile up the street from this one on a Party Store but from the 60's era. I know of another Faygo Wall in south Detroit. Since I work down the street from this Party Store I get to drive by it everyday on my way to & from Work for past few Years. About every day on my Lunch Break I drive by the Newer Faygo Plant on Gratiot. LEON.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Cool story!...I have not subscribed to the Soda Spectrum for years!

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
Hi Leon, the store with the vandalized sign has been painted all white now. It had a few other oldies painted on it, Kowalski sausage etc.
Someone is selling coasters on eBay with this image on it. Some Vernor’s ghost signs have turned up.
Where is the sign downriver if you recall?

hemihampton

Reaction score
Yes, I gotta pic of the White Wall, Drive by it daily on my commute to work. about a year or 2 ago as Driving by it I see they tore the building down next to it. I stopped to look around the dirt for old bottles, a guy came over from that old party store to say hey, whatcha doing, told him looking for old bottles as I collect them. We chit chatted talked for quit awile. ends up he bought that store & re opened it. we never talked about that Faygo wall unfortunately. BUT, I remember when I first seen that Wall I thought man, I sure wish there was a way to preserve it, because I knew it's life on this earth as we now knew it & seen it was going to be very limited. I had Strange thoughts, like removing it block by block & reassembling in my back yard. Then thought a big thin plastic plexiglass sheet to cover it as i figured vandals would ruin it. I even wanted to pull the rest of the blocks down to reveal the Oranges under the Blocks where it said "Made with real Fruit". Thought maybe of sneaking back at night to pull those blocks off hiding the oranges, ect, ect. TO BAD, Now it's all gone & bummer most people didn't appreciate it's historic signifigance. LEON.FaygoWallnowWhite2.jpg

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
The sign in south Detroit is another 60's sign, not as cool as this older 50's sign. I thought I had a pic of it on my computer somewhere but can't find it. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi