Fence insulator?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brutalfly

Reaction score
Was looking for pictures of this on the internet and could not find it so I figured I would try here. I am about 90% sure it is a fence insulator but could not find one that looked like this. No marks on it except the letter "B" on the top.

20210313_140910_HDR_(1).jpg

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Was looking for pictures of this on the internet and could not find it so I figured I would try here. I am about 90% sure it is a fence insulator but could not find one that looked like this. No marks on it except the letter "B" on the top.

View attachment 221189
Brookfield was a popular insulator company. Might be one. How big is it? I like the look of it. Wish I knew more. Love it though.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Brutalfly

Reaction score
Brookfield was a popular insulator company. Might be one. How big is it? I like the look of it. Wish I knew more. Love it though.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Thanks for the comment.
It is only 2 inches tall.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
I originally wrote this =
This is a service drop spool insulator. It's purpose is to hold the strength member wire to pole or tree or house and "insulate" or more appropriately isolate power or telegraph or telecommunication wires. They are installed quite often with more than one wire "anchored" to them hence the multiple wire grooves. The hardware is usually two iron brackets that hold a cottered pin that one to three of these spools slide onto and are arranged vertically one above another. (I have photos and examples somewhere in my stuff).
Really crude example!

But! after re-reading you posts and saw that you stated " It is only 2 inches tall." I've changed my mind, two inches tall makes me think electrified fence insulator.
My best suggestion, I think, for now,
~Fred

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I first time I saw an electric fence, no let me rephrase that. The first time i felt an electric fence was when I was 7 at a dairy farm my fathers friend owned in NY state. Ogdensburg If I remember correctly. It scare the heck out of me. I remember thinking this did not just happen. Of course in my infinite wisdom I touched it again. Long story short, I didn't notice what type of insulator they were using at the time. You have to understand, i was in shock. We went home and that was the last time I ever saw one. I live in an urban area.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I first time I saw an electric fence, no let me rephrase that. The first time i felt an electric fence was when I was 7 at a dairy farm my fathers friend owned in NY state. Ogdensburg If I remember correctly. It scare the heck out of me. I remember thinking this did not just happen. Of course in my infinite wisdom I touched it again. Long story short, I didn't notice what type of insulator they were using at the time. You have to understand, i was in shock. We went home and that was the last time I ever saw one. I live in an urban area.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

I've seen plenty of abandoned electric fences over the years, and they all have a specific type of insulator that doesn't look like this one. But I still suspect it's an electric fence insulator, maybe an earlier type than the ones I come across on abandoned farms which probably date to the 50s or so.

BillinMo

Reaction score
Definitely a fence insulator. There were quite a few styles used over the years. This one is "dry process" porcelain made by pressing particles of clay into a mold.

I can't find any attribution for the B marking. There were a lot of knob manufacturers (literally hundreds) in the early part of the 20th century.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado