finding more soda cans and some bottles fall searches

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KSESTATE

Reaction score
Hello I have been reading your posts with the cans. I have used Oxalic acid powder to soak beer cans that you cant read anything through the rust. It will at least bring out the color under the rust. Wont make them perfect but will be able to ID them. 1 cup acid in gallon of hot water. Check them after a day or two and it should magically appear through the rust. We were able to get it through a chemical supply company but you had to by a bulk quantity I think 5 gallon bucket became quite expensive. Hope this helps in your quest for the missing can in your collection.
Found this pic on amazon $ 120 for the bucket. a search also showed that Walmart has a 2 lb bag for about $14 They both label it as a rust remover.
1605331740477.png

RCO

Reaction score
poked around the main can dump one last time before its likely covered in snow soon . used the metal detector to try and find any areas or cans I had missed , and found a couple , also some trees down which I though might be over cans .

found a couple bottles such as a coca cola no deposit , syrup maybe maple ? some glass jars

cans included - coca cola , Tab , Mountain Dew , Canada dry - tonic water , Wink , Orange Crush , Fanta - ginger ale , carlton club - cola , Welch's grape , Wilson's Bitter Lemon , Canada dry - root beer , Miller ( aluminum beer can ) ,

never seen the Canada dry root beer before but it rusted badly and has a hole in it

think the Wilson's Bitter lemon is uncommon and should clean up more , will post a cleaned up picture of it in a couple days

20201120_143757.jpg
20201120_150814-jpg.214606
20201120_150902.jpg

Attachments

• 20201120_150814.jpg
    20201120_150814.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 255

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
cleaned up main location and checked to see if there was anything I has missed , was a couple things

bottles included a broken pepsi , no deposit bottles , liquor and glass jars

cans found were - coca cola , pepsi , Canada dry , Yukon club - cola , 7 up , grand prix - cola , cavalier - ginger ale , and another odd Wilson's Toronto can , this one for " Charlies - Orange its one in middle , not a lot remains but enough there to read its logo

also found a 7 up cap inside a glass jar , wondering if its from the 7 up bottle I found there earlier this year ?

View attachment 213522View attachment 213523View attachment 213524

Those old steel can were really something. No crush with ones hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCO

Reaction score
on the weekend poked around another dump I had found near a highway a couple years ago , its very large but not that old , most of the cans seem to be late 70's early 80's

a few bottles there mostly seemed to be coca cola nd without labels , found 2 caps for pepsi bottles and a broken local ginger ale for Muskoka dry

lots of cans , a lot of store brands but some still had nearly full colour if they were buried deep enough and hidden from elements

cans included - coca cola , diet coke , cherry coke , dr pepper , Schweppes- tonic water , sprite , hires , Fanta - cream soda , Canada dry , royal crest - root beer , no name - ginger ale , cola , sun pac juice , carlton club -ginger ale , chateau - ginger ale , cola , temagami dry ginger ale , 7 up raspberry and orange chill ( an odd flavour I've never seen before , orange can mostly rusted away with a small area of colour , raspberry solid with some fade ) .

the temagami dry ginger ale is a northern Ontario can , never found it in cans before , found the odd bottle . it was originally bottled in North Bay Ontario ( never bottled in temagami , they just used that name cause it sounded better ) on the can says it was bottled by temagami dry distributors ltd Cochrane Ontario

20201122_091825.jpg
20201122_095502.jpg
20201122_095634.jpg
20201122_095718.jpg
20201122_100009.jpg
20201122_100130.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
the Wilson's Bitter Lemon can , couple more pics of it , not sure if cleaned up more can still has colour and original Wilson's wording

DSC03049.JPG
DSC03050.JPG
DSC03052.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
had some snow here than it sort of melted so I poked around yesterday a bit , didn't really find much old but at one small roadside dumping I had found years ago . I poked around areas of rusted cans or bottles ( found a green liquor and beer bottle ) and I came across an area that had 3 Yukon Club Ginger Ale flat top cans

they appear to be from the 60's and are the Low Calorie version , this was the store brand for the old A & P stores . they still have a lot of green and white colour . haven't really found many Yukon club cans from this era so not sure how common or rare they are

20201129_095952.jpg
20201129_101055.jpg
20201129_101114.jpg
DSC03070.JPG
DSC03068.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
The Soda Book gives them a $20-$25 price which would make them common. I think they would clean up good in a acid bath. I kinda like them. Congrats. I'm sure you could trade that 2nd exta can with no problem. LEON.

RCO

Reaction score
The Soda Book gives them a $20-$25 price which would make them common. I think they would clean up good in a acid bath. I kinda like them. Congrats. I'm sure you could trade that 2nd exta can with no problem. LEON.

for a store brand Yukon Club had a neat look early on , I haven't really seen any older Yukon club for sale recently so had no idea what there worth .
I would image there was a lot of Yukon club cans made and used back in the 60's so there not likely rare , as to how many survived till now is harder to say

brought them indoors to dry for a bit , figure they should clean up more eventually

they were a surprise find , it you drove by that lot you wouldn't of assumed anything good was there , a lot of pine trees and such , very thick bush , a couple homes nearby they sort of wondered what I was doing there but didn't say anything , didn't use metal detector at the time so might not of found everything

JKL

Reaction score
@RCO What do you do when you clean your cans? I found your posts in this thread fascinating.
I never really focused on cans until recently. I remember so many of those brands especially Grand Prix, Yukon Club along with national brand. I would love to see how some of these clean up. I would love to find some myself.
I used a citric acid bath recently and was amazed at how rust just dissolved leaving the paint.
Keep posting those finds. If you ever try cleaning, post a before and after.

RCO

Reaction score
@RCO What do you do when you clean your cans? I found your posts in this thread fascinating.
I never really focused on cans until recently. I remember so many of those brands especially Grand Prix, Yukon Club along with national brand. I would love to see how some of these clean up. I would love to find some myself.
I used a citric acid bath recently and was amazed at how rust just dissolved leaving the paint.
Keep posting those finds. If you ever try cleaning, post a before and after.

I've never really tried an acid cleaning on any of the cans , just various cleaners and rust removers so that they at least look somewhat better

have a lot of cans in the garage that would likely clean up a little bit better , at some point i'll attempt doing that but for now they'll just be left as they are

obviously haven't kept every can I've found in the last couple of years , some were just far too gone to save or justify the space in keeping them , I've tried to keep the best ones though and as many different examples of different flavours and brands that I've come across .

I was always more interested in bottles and generally still more interested in them . just sort of realised there was a lot of interesting metal soda cans lying around my area rusting away , and is limited time left to uncover them before they entirely rust out , sort of figured I'd find em now before there gone and I think that my searching around was pretty successful in terms of what I found

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi