Finds from a Hawaiian forest

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Today, I was supposed to go to Seattle but my flight got delayed so I decided to go wandering in some nearby woods. At first, I was detecting but didn't find much. The most interesting thing was a bullet from a 30-06 cartridge. While detecting I started picking up all sorts of glass fragments. Bits of modern beers, tons of screw-top jar bits, a part of hobble-skirt coke, etc. Eventually, I found a whole piece. Idk what it is. It's certainly a food jar of sorts, the 30s-40s I would guess. I found that it was patented in 1932 by none other than the Owens-Illinois glass company. Their logo, D-patent, and codes are also on the base. The date code is "3" which could be 1933 or 1943. It also has some really nice hand-laid stippling.

I would have kept going but I found a homeless encampment back there and didn't want to push my luck any further. There were also massive chunks of old ceramic pipes from the 40s as well as the biggest, albeit modern, whiskey I have ever seen. There was also a stack of about half a dozen mini Budweisers from the 80s. Left them for another day.

I dumped most of the other fragments back into the forest before leaving. But, I did take the base off of a 40s Clorox and another base from a Karo syrup bottle. I should've kept a couple of those hobble-skirt coke fragments on second thought. I will definitely head back there later, at the earliest tomorrow. I am very happy about my finds!

Attachments

• P1080586.JPG
    P1080586.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 76
  • P1080587.JPG
    P1080587.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 71
  • P1080589.JPG
    P1080589.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 70
  • P1080591.JPG
    P1080591.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 70
  • P1080593.JPG
    P1080593.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 73

hemihampton

Reaction score
I know about 10 years ago I was watching some you tube Video where some guys were digging a dump in Hawaii by the water & was pulling out tons of old 1890's Hutchinson Bottles. You need to find a old dump like that. Good Luck. LEON.

Reactions: Len

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I know about 10 years ago I was watching some you tube Video where some guys were digging a dump in Hawaii by the water & was pulling out tons of old 1890's Hutchinson Bottles. You need to find a old dump like that. Good Luck. LEON.
Most of those types of dumps are found on the West side of the island. I live out on the East side which is sadly mostly paved over. I did get a tip from one of the veterans about a stream bank where he pulled out two dozen hutches and a coffee can full of silver quarters. He said that there was so much stuff there that they basically gave up trying to get all of it. Right now is our rainy season so it's basically under 10ft of water. I will definitely go during the summer tho.

hemihampton

Reaction score
That definitely sounds like a good tip, I'd check that out. Good Luck. LEON.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I went again out today with a friend of mine. Sadly, everything was broken but we brought back all of the embossed pieces. Here is a general overview of all of the pieces. I will go more in depth into some but not all of them. Quarter for scale. I know it's best to show at least mostly whole stuff but I'm new and uneducated in the ways of bottles so I'll share all of it just in case I'm missing something.
1671668992539.jpeg

Before I get into the glassware, I'd like to share some of the other "finds" from the same area. The first is some clay drainage pipe. There were bits and pieces scattered all about. In Hawaii, specifically in Niu Valley where these were, these pipes date from about 1940 to 1960. These are probably later in date. I also found a washing machine? Any info as to a date is welcome.
1671669220592.jpeg
1671669240639.jpeg

I'll start off with these Mayo jars. In Hawaii they only sell Best Foods brand mayo. I found another part in a nearby valley and there were at least three in one sole ditch so I suppose they were populareven back then. I myself am a fan of ridiculous quantities of mayo. Two are the 80918 patent which is the same as a fragment I dug out of Waialae-Iki two miles up the road. The other is an ATLAS made jar.
1671669462389.jpeg

After this are some of the other "food" jars. The far left is a Karo Syrup base. I found another around the same spot yesterday. This one is dated 1952. In the middle is an unknown medicine or perfume with H-420 on the base, dated 1932/42. The far right is an Avon perfume somewhat shaped like a porch light. On the right is a closeup of that jar fragment with the Duraglas brand.
1671669734968.jpeg
1671669892724.jpeg

Next is an interesting thing. It might be a jar or beer or something else. I'm not too knowledgeable on Atlas made stuff. Any info on this is welcome. Also is that cold cream I found as well. It was just sitting there poking out of a cliffside. Very nice, no chips. Dated 1932?
1671669973001.jpeg
1671670043078.jpeg

Lastly, I found these fellas. I'm almost certain these are much older than the rest. Please correct me if I'm wrong The left is an amber beer base. The middle is God knows what. I was told by an old guy at the Pawn Shop that it's carnival glass. The right is a nice black glass neck. Very thick might I add. Please give me your thoughts and any info.
1671670122538.jpeg
1671670160326.jpeg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Last pic the amber shard could be a Beer Bottle? Schlitz & Primo were big in Hawaii. The middle blue shard kinda looks like the bottom of a Shot glass but may be to big for that? The last green neck piece not dark enough to be called a black glass in my opinion. The last 3 do look older then the rest. Keep looking. LEON.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Last pic the amber shard could be a Beer Bottle? Schlitz & Primo were big in Hawaii. The middle blue shard kinda looks like the bottom of a Shot glass but may be to big for that? The last green neck piece not dark enough to be called a black glass in my opinion. The last 3 do look older then the rest. Keep looking. LEON.
Yes. Definitely, the amber piece is from a beer. I could tell it was older based on that undefined, almost rounded base which was a characteristic of blow molds I think. The blue piece is about 2.5in across the top and feels more like a drinking glass than anything. No embossed details as far as I can see. I'll be flying out to Seattle for a week but when I get back, I am definitely going back.

willong

Reaction score
Today, I was supposed to go to Seattle
Since you like shards, there is a site in Seattle (see Lat/Lon coordinates below) that you might want to check out while you are in the area if it is convenient to you.

There was a turn of the 20th Century landfill in the Montlake neighborhood. Trash was dumped into marshes of Lake Washington at the north end of today's arboretum. Until just now looking at Google Earth for the first time in several years, I did not realize how much more construction has taken place (it was 1960's construction that had unearthed dump contents and clued bottle diggers into the site when I learned about it around 1970) or is still underway; or, I might have been making some midnight forays myself!

Digging there in 1970 and 71, I unearthed BIMAL and tooled finish bottles of many types. I doubt that digging is permitted these days, but casually walking and picking up "litter" (carry a bag with some actual trash in it) should not be a problem if the site is accessible*.

* Might not be an area one can enter, as the April 2023 satellite image showed construction in-progress and it looks like a big project.

47°38'41.80"N
122°17'58.82"W

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Let me revise the coordinates (I had to look at historical aerial photos to get more precise location of where we actually dug in '70 and '71) to: 47.64459 -122.29869
Wow, thanks. I really only like fragments because I have nothing better to dig. Much of the time, I'm digging out pits dug maybe 10 years ago. Living on an island has its benefits but there's hardly anywhere to dig anymore. I'm not planning to go to Seattle anytime soon but I get family there so next time I go I will take time to visit. Thanks brah.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu