First dig of new year

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Well, got a bit of a weak start to the new year. The temps were mild enough to break the permafrost and open up a stone liner, but was surprised when I sprung a leak at 4 feet! I guess I shouldn't be, considering how much the Mississippi has been flooding, but we are pretty dry here, considering. I just wasn't thinking about rising water tables with so much water. Getting to the point, at the 3 foot level just before flooding, I scraped up a couple toc tool top common meds and a funny looking porcelain dog statue with his hind leg up in the peeing position! Unfortunately, his tail and part of his back was missing. I had dug another piece that I thought was the broken piece, but turns out it was a separate different dog statue. I get them home and cleaned up when I also discover the peeing dog statue is not a statue after all but a whiskey nipper! Where his tail and butt should be is half of a manufactured smooth lip where there would have been a cork! So not only is the dog peeing, but you uncork his butt to take a nip! I laughed my own butt off when I figured it out. I also suspect the other dog, which is standing in a begging position was also a nipper, though much less amusing. This privy is behind an old building that was a grocery store dating back to the late 1870's, so I suspect these may have been sold by them as a novelty, hopefully with some undamaged examples. My probe sailed down to the 8 foot level with no sign of bottoming out, so I will have to return in July when hopefully it will be dried up. If not, it will at least be warmer to play in the water! Ha! IMG_3746.JPGIMG_3748.jpgIMG_3749.jpgIMG_3750.JPG

Privyprowlerz

Reaction score
sounds promising. be sure to look under any porches or in any crawl spaces you can find.

there are some stories out there about old general stores..... you never know.

Good luck,

Jim

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Very interesting & educational, though I am sure this isn't it. These are all figurines, whereas mine has an opening for a cork. Also, there is no ridging on the base and all these figurines are way too PG, made for a for a young audience. Also, the time frame is off as these are from an 1890's context, but I did learn something. Thanks Eric.

sunrunner

Reaction score
the glaze is a manganese , like a Benington on white earthenware. 1850 to 1880s .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado