First two trips of the year - Charles River, MA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FreeRangeAsparagus

Reaction score
Mornin folks, been a while since I posted last. I took my first two trips to my personal spot on the Charles River about a week apart.

The first trip was a little above average. I netted 20 bottles and jars, as well as 16 partials. Notable finds for the trip are a measuring cup, a French's Mustard jar, a bottle from New England Wine Co., and 2 partials with labels.
IMG_9953.JPG

IMG_9967.JPG

Second trip was this past weekend. It was just one day after the big rainstorm that swept through so the water was even murkier than normal if that's possible. The Charles isn't known for its water clarity but it was nearly impossible to see anything without a flashlight. I decided I would go by feel mostly and headed about 100 feet upriver from where I usually collect. All in all, I pulled 9 bottles, 1 glass, 6 partials, a blue and white enamelware pot lid, and the neck of a porcelain urn adorned with roses. The only 2 bottles I saved were a Bostonia Beverages and a 1930s whiskey bottle with South Station on it.
IMG_9971.JPG

IMG_9974.JPG

IMG_9980.JPG

The scale that collects on the bottles from whatever it is in the Charles is still a chore to scrub off but it went okay this time around. I would appreciate any advice about how to take it off on the inside of bottles. It flakes off if I leave the bottles to dry and only collects where the bottle is exposed to the water.

I hope to get out again soon and explore more upriver, hope all you folks are doing well and staying safe.

sandchip

Reaction score
You were right in saving the Bostonia and the whiskey flask. The others were not worth your time in cleaning. That black creek scum is stubborn indeed. Scrubbing that stuff will wear you out. For decades, I've soaked them overnight in the same container of undiluted muriatic acid which does the trick with minimal scubbing. And of course, be careful with this stuff. Use outdoors, wear PPE, etc.

swpender

Reaction score
Mornin folks, been a while since I posted last. I took my first two trips to my personal spot on the Charles River about a week apart.

The first trip was a little above average. I netted 20 bottles and jars, as well as 16 partials. Notable finds for the trip are a measuring cup, a French's Mustard jar, a bottle from New England Wine Co., and 2 partials with labels.
View attachment 208479
View attachment 208480

Second trip was this past weekend. It was just one day after the big rainstorm that swept through so the water was even murkier than normal if that's possible. The Charles isn't known for its water clarity but it was nearly impossible to see anything without a flashlight. I decided I would go by feel mostly and headed about 100 feet upriver from where I usually collect. All in all, I pulled 9 bottles, 1 glass, 6 partials, a blue and white enamelware pot lid, and the neck of a porcelain urn adorned with roses. The only 2 bottles I saved were a Bostonia Beverages and a 1930s whiskey bottle with South Station on it.
View attachment 208481
View attachment 208482
View attachment 208483

The scale that collects on the bottles from whatever it is in the Charles is still a chore to scrub off but it went okay this time around. I would appreciate any advice about how to take it off on the inside of bottles. It flakes off if I leave the bottles to dry and only collects where the bottle is exposed to the water.

I hope to get out again soon and explore more upriver, hope all you folks are doing well and staying safe.

Have you tried citric acid solution? Let it sit in the sun as heat seems to increase the solution effectiveness. Lemon juice if you don’t have powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp