First use of "hobble skirt" to describe Coca-Cola bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I tried sending Jill a PM but this popped up ...

"Little Rock Bottle has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

The reason we haven't heard from her could be because she hasn't activated her personal setting yet and is not getting email notifications. ???

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Andy

Thanks

It appears to me that Jill's inquiry is based on the premise ...

1. The Wright Brothers took a women on one of their early flights.
2. Someone tied a cord around the women's dress to keep it in place during the flight.
3. When the women got off the plane, the cord was still in place, causing her to hobble instead of walking normally.
4. A fashion designer witnessed the event and got the idea for a dress that was gathered at the ankles.
5. The fashion designer called his new creation the Hobble Skirt.
6. When the contour Coca Cola bottle was patented in 1915, someone nicknamed it the hobble skirt because of the dress.
7. Thus, someone believes this establishes a connection between the Coca Cola hobbleskirt bottle and the Wright Brothers.

I'll be back later with what I hope will be an interesting commentary on this, and hopefully shed some more light on the topic. In the meantime, please reread the information on this link because it will play a role in my commentary. And please note the name Katharine Wright, who was Orville and Wilbur Wright's sister. Also note the date, 1909.

http://www.wright-brothers.org/Info...ily/Katharine_Wright/Hobble_Skirt_Sidebar.htm

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Note: I'm almost out of my monthly allotment of satellite dish gigabytes and having major problems posting. So if I suddenly disappear I'll be back tomorrow. My gigabytes replenish themselves at midnight.

If you read the link I just posted, then you might agree the author seems to imply that Katharine Wright was the first women to fly with the Wright Brothers in 1909, and that it was Katharine who had her dress tied with a cord. Well, if that's what the author is implying, then it appears he got the name and date wrong. The first women to ever fly was a Mrs. Hart Berg who flew with Wilbur Wright in Le Mans, France on October 7, 1908. And not only that, but she apparently was the women who had her dress tied with a cord and not Katharine Wright. The fact that Mrs. Hart Berg was the first women to ever fly in an airplane is well known, as evidenced by this article from ...

The New York Times ~ October 7, 1908

( Notice Katharine Wright's comments in the article )

Hobble Skirt New York Times Oct 7, 1908 Mrs Hart Berg.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Please read this article and I will be back as soon as I can with a rebuttal.

Especially notice where it says ...

"One of the spectators, a leading French dressmaker, ..."

From ...

The Ogden Standard ~ Ogden, Utah ~ February 11, 1953

Hobble Skirt Ogden Standard Examiner Feb 11, 1953.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Because of the 1908 article I posted earlier, we know the 1953 article is referring to that event. Plus, there is ample evidence to support that Paul Poiret invented the first hobble skirt, as seen in this article from ...

The Washington Times ~ Washington, D.C. ~ September 15, 1910

View attachment 169119

However ...

1. I have spent hours of searching and cannot find a single shred of evidence that Paul Poiret or any other dressmaker was at the Wilbur Wright flight event in Le Mans, France in 1908.

2. I have spent hours of searching and cannot find a single shred of evidence that Paul Poiret actually coined the term "hobble skirt." The term was definitely attributed to him later, but whether he was the first person to actually use it is a subject of debate that no one seems to know the answer to. Everything I'm seeing on the topic appears to be based on pure speculation.

Which brings us back to the main question of this thread, which is whether or not there is a direct connection between the Wright Brothers and the Coca Cola hobbleskirt bottle? To this I say, which I don't know how to word any simpler than ...

Regardless as to whether the term "hobble skirt" dress is directly connected to the Wright Brothers or not, the Coca Cola hobbleskirt bottle nickname can't possibly be connected to the Wright Brothers because the soft drink "Bludwine" used the term at least as early as 1913, which was a full two years before the Patent 1915 Coca Cola hobbleskirt bottle was even designed. It seems apparent to me that Coca Cola got the term from Bludwine and not anything directly related to the Wright Brothers.

So if there is a question to be asked, I think it should be ...

Is there a connection between the Wright Brothers and Bludwine's use of the term "Hobble-Skirt Bottle" in 1913?

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
But before my last question can be properly answered, the following needs to be determined first ...

1. Is there a bona fide proof-positive connection between the term "hobble skirt" and the Wright Brothers early flights?

If someone can correctly answer this question, then the rest of the puzzle pieces just might fall into place.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Final questions w/answers ...

Q: Is there a connection between the Bludwine hobble-skirt bottle and the hobble skirt dress?
A: Yes - because of their similarity in shape.

Q: Is there a connection between the Bludwine hobble-skirt bottle and the 1915 Coca Cola bottle?
A: Yes - Bludwine used the term in 1913 and Coca Cola used/copied/stole the term several years later.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I'm currently researching Bludwine to see if I can find anything else involving them and the term "hobble skirt." There just might be a reference if I closely search the 1910 through 1913 newspapers. I'll be back if I find anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac