First use of "hobble skirt" to describe Coca-Cola bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm back ...

But I really don't know what to tell ya except that 1913 is the earliest ad I can find for Bludwine that uses the term "Hobble Skirt Bottle." I'm finding lots of Bludwine ads that go as far back as 1908, but none of those use the term "Hobble Skirt Bottle." So it appears that Bludwine first started using the term in 1913. I also read several Bludwine histories, but none of them had any specific information regarding the who-what-when-why for the term. As for your average soda pop drinker back in 1913-14 who saw the various Bludwine "Hobble Skirt Bottle" ads and signs, they were probably well aware of hobble skirt dresses by then and just thought it was a clever advertising gimmick.

Here's the 1913 ad again, which I inserted the picture of a similar looking bottle for comparison. Now compare the inserted bottle, which was described as circa 1913 from Pensacola, Florida, to one of Bludwine's earlier bottle pictured below the ad that was described as being circa 1908-1912. The circa 1908-1912 bottle doesn't match but the circa 1913 bottle does. Specifically compare the embossing on the bottles.

Note: I tried to enhance the 1913 newspaper article but what you see is the best I could do.

Bludwine El Paso Herald March 15, 1913.jpg

Circa 1908-1912 Bludwine Bottle

Bludwine Bottle Circa 1908 1912.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Even though I couldn't send Jill a PM, I was able to send her a private email, so hopefully we'll hear from her soon.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
TIMELINE SUMMARY ...

October 1908
Mrs. Hart Berg is the first women to fly with Wilbur Wright in Le Mans, France. Her dress is tied with cords to keep it gathered around the ankles and legs. But no specific name is attributed to this cord tying practice.

November 1908
As more and more women fly, the Aeroplane Robe becomes available to replace having to tie women's dresses with cords. Aeroplane Robes were previously referred to as Divided Skirts.

Aeroplane Robes are replaced by Aviation Dresses / Aviation Skirts

Aviation Dresses / Aviation Skirts become known as Hobble Skirts. Hobble Skirts become a fashion worldwide. French dress designer Paul Poiret is generally the person who is given credit for designing the first Hobble Skirt, but this has become the subject of controversy over the years and has never been officially confirmed.

Bludwine is the first soft drink brand to use the term Hobble Skirt Bottle in advertising.

The Contour Coca Cola bottle is patented by the Root Glass Company, Terre Haute, Indiana.

The Coca Cola Bottling Company of Wichita, Kansas is the first Coca Cola Bottler to use the term Hobble-Skirt Bottle in advertising.

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The St. Louis Dispatch ~ St. Louis, Missouri ~ November 1, 1908

Hobble Skirt Wright Brothers St Louis Dispatch Nov 1, 1908 (2).jpg

Hobble Skirt Wright Brothers St Louis Dispatch Nov 1, 1908 (3).jpg

Hobble Skirt Wright Brothers St Louis Dispatch Nov 1, 1908.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record ...

Some individuals and dress designers claim the Hobble Skirt was an American creation and then introduced in Paris after its American debut.

From ...

The New York Times ~ August 14, 1910

(This is just one of several articles I've seen that make the same claim)

Hobble Skirt American NY Times Aug 14, 1910.jpg

Last edited:

iggyworf

Reaction score
I hope 'Jill' checks back here. She started a good one. I hope this helps her.

Great stuff Bob. Bludwine sure doesn't sound like it was to tasty.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I tried to find an official explanation as to why Bludwine started advertising their bottle as the "Hobble Skirt Bottle" but could not find one. The term was obviously because of the hobble skirt dress, which consumers were no doubt familiar with at the time, but other than that, the use of the term seems to have appeared out of nowhere without explanation. But I did find another 1913 ad from ...

The Atlanta Constitution ~ Atlanta, Georgia ~ June 4, 1913

(The ad pertains to a lawsuit Bludwine won about the company's claim that the brand was healthful)

Bludwine Atlanta Constitution June 4, 1913 (2).jpg

Bludwine Atlanta Constitution June 4, 1913 (3).jpg

Bludwine Atlanta Constitution June 4, 1913.jpg

Last edited:

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Great work Bob. I always a*s*s*ummed Coca Cola first coined the term "hobbleskirt"

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bass

Thanks

Because we are talking about nicknames for the patent 1915 Coca Cola contour bottle, I think it only appropriate that the spotlight be directed to another nickname, which is the ...

Mae West

The term obviously refers to the similarity between the shape of the bottle and Miss West shapely figure, but when did this nickname first appear and exactly where did it come from? Stand by and we'll see if we can figure it out ...

(To be continued)

Mae West (224x300).jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu