Fish bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rolibarnes

Reaction score
Need some help. Have 2 Fish bottles I received from my mom. I know they were in her house for over 40 years.. Do not know where she got them. The bottles look like a milkglass w/green overlay on top. 12" high, 3 1/2 at base, 4" at widest point of fish.
Seam goes from bottom to top of fish. Seam is not on flared portion of top. Bottom looks like it was blown..Have a couple more pictures if needed.Thanks RB

Fd92442.jpg

Attachments

• Fd92442.jpg
    Fd92442.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 94

Kim

Reaction score
Hi RB
I have a couple of fish bottles but not the same as yours. If you go to a search engine and type in "antique fish bottle" you might get a good results. I know there is a yellow fish bottle worth thousands. I also have a milk glass cake? stand on a fish cast iron base which is worth around $600 Aust dollars. It could be possible that these are valuable. I am not able to help with the history of such bottles but I am sure there would be somebody to help. Sorry I am not much help.
Below is a pic of the cake stand

Pn36973.jpg

Attachments

• Pn36973.jpg
    Pn36973.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 90

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi RB, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of answers among the members here.[:)] Is it possible for you to post a picture of the base of your bottle/vase? I think that would help towards identification.

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Hi I don't think I have the answer for your vase but will be checking, never seen a milk glass with an over lay. One way to tell the victorian times of (or) milk glass is to hold it up to the light and on the edge of the glass you will see it fire. There were a few companies who marked bottom, Westmoreland glass was one, if I recall inwoven letters.
anyway I am sure it has value it's older than a fish (clear) that I sold for $100.00 and sure yours will be worth more. So that is Opalescent (milk glass) and layered with clear glass(green). Also most of the older glass makers used labels with their name on it (on bottom). If embosed it would not be as old.[&o]

David E Dearden

Reaction score
As Kim stated you might type that into the Web as I only refered to my books and did not find much.
It was called Opal Ware early on. 1870 to 1900 prized in USA, England and France.
I did find one item if you beleive was a Historical Bottle (Columbus) with stopper value $600.00.
You might put that under a black light and see if that green on the milk lights up. That would be Vaseline glass with uranium salts.
I would guess the top of the fish was finished by hand, There were reproductions as with anything of value. See if you can see a small c around near base, that would be good.
Only other (but there are more) I can think of are following glass companies who worked in millk glass McKee, Fenton. Harry Northwood (one of the best his would be marked on base N with a slash under it. And Blenko who still blow glass.

rolibarnes

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help from this forum. Everyone has been so helpful..Your info & suggestions have helped a lot. Am attaching a picture of base as was suggested.Hope it helps. Thanks again. RB

Zx70601.jpg

Attachments

• Zx70601.jpg
    Zx70601.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 87

Kim

Reaction score
Hi
I thought I would post a pic again of the fish bottle I have.
I hope you solve your mystery. I don't think that the two fish bottles I have are very old.
Regards
Kim

Yw67922.jpg

Attachments

• Yw67922.jpg
    Yw67922.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 99

Lechler

Reaction score
I have two of these bottles as well and I've heard that they're worth $100 each.

Kim

Reaction score
RE: Fish bottles, Help please

Hi All
Diane and I, are looking for more info on the fish bottles. I figure that Norm, Harry, David, Ozriley, Irish or somebody might have some more info, maybe in a book or can we be recommended to a source.
If I put one on ebay, how much do I start it at?
Thanks Heaps
Kim

Lechler

Reaction score
Thanks for you help with this Kim! I can post pics, but they're identical to Kim's pic. Thanks for any feedback!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky