Flashing

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
Here is the lip looking down from the top of the stopper. You can see where the green stops. Why does the green not go all the way out to the edge of the lip?

FD16DE21CB49471ABFBC4E64B81EE2E6.jpg

Attachments

• FD16DE21CB49471ABFBC4E64B81EE2E6.jpg
    FD16DE21CB49471ABFBC4E64B81EE2E6.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 153

bostaurus

Reaction score
Here is another for you.. I am assuming it is flashed. It is machine made though, Pyrex if I remember right.

8C093EB236B14EF5A5C753F7644345F1.jpg

Attachments

• 8C093EB236B14EF5A5C753F7644345F1.jpg
    8C093EB236B14EF5A5C753F7644345F1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 154

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again both of you, I was just looking at the Forum post for the day and came to
Flashing and even a post that I had made. The whole thread has a new rebirth. WOW,
I still am trying to learn how this system works an how to go back and find old posts. As an old man I am just not computer literate enough to help myself.
Thanks for the pictures bostaurus, I will have to review them again and - this is just fascinating to get into again. RED Matthews

bostaurus

Reaction score
I find it confusing too. It has been humbling that I have a big problem on the computer that I can't seem to solve...I ask one of my kids and that solve it in a couple key strokes...
I appreciate you looking at these for me. I find it all very interesting.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Back to you bostaurus; I first got your post on this subject when I was in Florida. I will be back there soon, 'God willing and the creek don't rise'. I have some book coverages there and will review search for more information.
The most interesting flashed glass in my opinion it the Bohemian ware where they put the red over clear glass and cut through it to emphasize running deer and many unique designs.
I haven't seen some like you showed where the bottle was green but the bottom glass showed clear. Neat stuff.
I have seen flashed glass that showed variation in the density of the overlay. And the subject just needs more research for the method details used.
Keep in touch. RED Matthews

bostaurus

Reaction score
When I first got the bottle I thought it was solid green. One day I noticed the light shining through on the shelf and saw the clear on the bottom. Looking closer I noticed where the green was ground away on the neck for the stopper. What really has me puzzled is the lip. If it was green glass, then dipped in clear, blown, cut from the pipe, then the lip tooled, why would you see the two colors separate in the lip as in the last picture? If you feel the lip there is an actual dip or separation between the two colors. Just a curious thing...
It is the only cased glass I have seen where the color was on the inside. At least for bottles the idea was to make an expensive looking bottle without having to use alot of the expensive colored glass. When the color is on the outside you never have a clue it is not a solid color. In this case , because the color is on the inside, it is obviously cased.

bostaurus

Reaction score
What do you think about that red one? I don't have it with me but I think it said Pyrex. it is not old...or at least not very old. Is it unusual for modern commercial glass to be so streaky?

TJSJHART

Reaction score
wow you peoples know your glass...one thing i noticed is that bottle that was green then dipped in clear,,, the base was so very thin looks like they planned it that way. am i right?

bostaurus

Reaction score
It is not very thin...about 1/4 - 1/3 inch of clear and a ground pontil. The green layer is quite thin.
The clear glass is very good quality. Not sure if it is leaded glass...maybe the flint glass I have heard folks talk about. It is very clear, bright and hard. Y'all probably know what I am talking about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94