flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
I'm far from knowledgeable about this type of bottle, but the color, base wear, and ground off spot next to the pontil look very suspect to me. I remember something on the forum not long ago, I think, about some of these recently made at Hale Farm, which is near me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Pint-Flask-Pontil-/260945573826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc19177c2

HH White

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: toddrandolph

I'm far from knowledgeable about this type of bottle, but the color, base wear, and ground off spot next to the pontil look very suspect to me. I remember something on the forum not long ago, I think, about some of these recently made at Hale Farm, which is near me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Pint-Flask-Pontil-/260945573826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc19177c2
I didn't like this one from the get go.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The glass looks to heavy,and thick,the ribs are to far spaced apart, the wear looks to have been made in a weeks time. The transition on the second gather (the ring on the neck) is the dead giveaway on this one.A lot of these modern glass works who are now belting these out are using green recycled beer glass as cullet. Right now it is easy to detect the fakes.If they were smart they would be using old cullet that was dug in privies or rivers or where ever.The more a gaffer makes these the better the result will be each time.The flask from afar looks good a couple of the pictures that were taken it is in fact very hard to tell this is a fake.Aside form the neck,the base and the closeup of the color of the glass sealed it for me.

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

The glass looks to heavy,and thick,the ribs are to far spaced apart, the wear looks to have been made in a weeks time. The transition on the second gather (the ring on the neck) is the dead giveaway on this one.A lot of these modern glass works who are now belting these out are using green recycled beer glass as cullet. Right now it is easy to detect the fakes.If they were smart they would be using old cullet that was dug in privies or rivers or where ever.The more a gaffer makes these the better the result will be each time.The flask from afar looks good a couple of the pictures that were taken it is in fact very hard to tell this is a fake.Aside form the neck,the base and the closeup of the color of the glass sealed it for me. 

I agree that the flask looks far too heavy and thick. Most early pieces are much lighter and thinner. I would think this comes from the art glass background of the person that made it. Most art glass pieces are thick and heavy. Working with very thin walled vessels in a very quick fashion is not a skill possessed by many if any modern glass blowers.

Chris

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac