For Those Privy Diggers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

godschosen

Reaction score
I have some questions to those who dig privies. How far do you usually find the privy/privies from the back of the house? Are they always along the property line or can they be in the middle of the yard?

twowheelfan

Reaction score
no rules. probe everywhere. most cities have typical spots but they change from city to city. NYC they are typically towards the rear of the property in the center, unless there was a tenement building on the back of the lot. then it would be in the center of the lot. Philadelphia it is usually at the rear corner unless its in the center, or there was a back building. research the prospective lot and deduce where you would put the smelly hole and go from there. also there could be many, many different holes from every decade all over. if you probe and it seems like man made stuff 5 foot down in one spot, dig till you find what you felt with the probe. repeat. best way to find out.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
twowheelfan said:
no rules. probe everywhere. most cities have typical spots but they change from city to city. NYC they are typically towards the rear of the property in the center, unless there was a tenement building on the back of the lot. then it would be in the center of the lot. Philadelphia it is usually at the rear corner unless its in the center, or there was a back building. research the prospective lot and deduce where you would put the smelly hole and go from there. also there could be many, many different holes from every decade all over. if you probe and it seems like man made stuff 5 foot down in one spot, dig till you find what you felt with the probe. repeat. best way to find out.
Ditto above. I usually start with the back property lines and work my way around the sides, unless there are some rather obvious spots, like dish shaped depressions in the ground or like one yard last year where I literally walked up to a depression and could actually make out the top row of stones to a ovoid shape stone liner. I remember thinking, "This is too easy" and figured it had been dug. But I figured wrong! What does seem universal is they are most often found near/behind/in front/ of old barns. Likely because they smelled anyway, so more stink was likely unnoticeable. I found a recent hole by thinking how far would I want to trot with the trots? I nailed it in under 5 minutes. I used to think if they were well off, they had servants to deal with all that, emptying the thunder mug in the morning along with the recent trash, so they didn't care if it was as far away as possible. But on pondering it, I realized their diets were not the best and gastric distresses were most common. That said, one had to fend for him/herself and make the dash in person. So I generally draw the line at about 30-40 feet from the back door. Often they are much closer and in some areas the older ones are closest and they get newer further away. Just a matter of space. Also sometimes the lot in question may have had 2 earlier houses long gone and one now in the middle. With these, there could easily be 2 privies along the older property line, which would go down the center of the yard instead of the current property lines. These can easily be missed and research really can help discover these. First hole I dug this year was in a stingy lot from last year that I suspected the garage (built in the 1920's and had been dug down) had eliminated the privy I was searching for. But then I recalled the 2 houses on the lot in earlier times and was able to guesstimate the property line and probed walking away from the house towards the alley. Found one about the middle of the large yard. (Still should be one more but can't seem to locate it yet.) In mentioning garages, they often were remodeled carriage houses or barns, or they tore them down and built the garages right on top of the barns, often covering over the nearby privies. In demolition projects, I am always hovering near the cement slabs for the garages in hopes of uncovering some privies, and it happens more often than not. HTH Jack

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
the general rule to locating privies is that there is no general rule. experience is the best teacher.what the others have said is true. one note would be that many times, once you've located one, the others on the street or general area are located in the same area of the yard. it's an inexact science. it's very easy to miss by inches, so it's nice when several people probe the same yard. good luck to ya !!! jim ( privyprowlerz )

sunrunner

Reaction score
its not ez.try it were you know there ,s stuff in the ground,like an old dump.it don't need to be old .just so you get the feel what trash feels like for or five feet down.

David Fertig

Reaction score
[attachment=100_7756.jpg]

Attachments

• d4d4c91c0a914849851ab0cdf6f4d7e0.jpg
    d4d4c91c0a914849851ab0cdf6f4d7e0.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 74

David Fertig

Reaction score
See if you can locate an old walk. Stone or concrete. Sometimes buried under grass or stone. If there are multiple pits in the yard, this one is usually the newest, but I will dig any of them.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp