found a mushroom shaped cement type marker can anyone identify what this is?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Marie-26

Reaction score
Can any one identify this? I found it in my back yard.

Attachments

• IMG_7624.JPG
    IMG_7624.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 163
  • mushroom.JPG
    mushroom.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 156

RCO

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is , might be from something that used to be in that location before . if there had been chairs , tables , something related to that sort of thing

either way doubt it has any historical or retail value

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've found a few of these before over the years & also wondered what they were? LEON.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I once saw something similar embedded in a very old concrete road as a cross-walk marker. Normally when I find these, they're brass markers denoting who/what/when.

willong

Reaction score
I once saw something similar embedded in a very old concrete road as a cross-walk marker. Normally when I find these, they're brass markers denoting who/what/when.
The brass ones you mention, if about two and a half inches in diameter, are typically benchmarks. USGS and other government agencies set them, quite often in stone or in concrete posts, in the course of various types of surveys. The pictured concrete item might be a type of survey hub too, but it's not one that I am familiar with.

willong

Reaction score
Can any one identify this? I found it in my back yard.

Are you certain it is made of concrete? Could it be corroded zinc or pot metal?

Please measure (not metric) diameter of the small end. The diameter of that shank directly under the flared cap portion would be helpful too if you have a set of calipers. I think I know what it might be if it is made of metal and not concrete. If it what I suspect, corrosion from burial gave it that pockmarked appearance.

Marie-26

Reaction score
Are you certain it is made of concrete? Could it be corroded zinc or pot metal?

Please measure (not metric) diameter of the small end. The diameter of that shank directly under the flared cap portion would be helpful too if you have a set of calipers. I think I know what it might be if it is made of metal and not concrete. If it what I suspect, corrosion from burial gave it that pockmarked appearance.
6" diameter under mushroom cap

willong

Reaction score
Thanks Marie,

If it's ceramic material then it is not was I was thinking it might be.

If cast of pot metal, I thought it might be a type of fence post finial (end cap), though not a form I've seen before, for galvanized fence and gate posts such as are used in chain link fences. In a smaller size, such an zinc or pot metal item could also conceivably be inserted in pipe to mark a survey point.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi