Found a strange coin-Any info?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://www.magiciansgallery.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MG&Product_Code=SN&Category_Code=JP

here is one of the hollowed out nickels.

towhead

Reaction score
Brian-Yes, does appear to be glue or something....

Thanks for the info Mark and Matt....prob was a novelty of some sort.

-Julie

jcrlanger

Reaction score
It looks like one half of a trick coin that had two tails or turns a normal coin into two tailed. Probably from a con-artist or magician. It was said that these did have a seam on the side which would make sense that it would be hollow on one side. Try placing a real wheat penny in the hollowed area to see if you can turn a normal coin into a two tailed coin.

John

towhead

Reaction score
Thanks all. No, another penny doesn't fit inside. Just exactly the same size....

-Julie

PrivyProwler

Reaction score
The circular marks has lath turned written all over it. The adhisive leads me to beleve someone was making a novelty item.

brokenshovel

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Antiquenut

ORIGINAL: ombudsman

Half of a World War II Nazi spy device for smuggling microfilm. [;)]

I remember reading where a .50 piece was found in Canada,I think at the U.S. consulate,that was hollow and had a GPS device inside.I would think the coins mission would be short lived as the target could have spent it at any time.Its still a good way to track someone without their knowing it.

I have a Colombian Expedition coin from 1892 that was two coins joined together by an internal hinge. Probably made by a watch maker. You could not tell it wasn't a single coin. When pressed on the side by the edge it would open up. We didn't know it until my Granddad dropped it and it "split" open and a half penny rolled out.
They have been called smuggler's coins. Not really sure what you would have smuggled as the available compartment inside is very small. Probably more of a novelty at the time of someone working on their skills.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp