Found in 110 feet of water in Lake George, NY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mjmdfacc

Reaction score
They were intended to be kept lying down to keep the cork wet. There were stands that could be placed on a table. to hold it upright for serving. The stands are scarce, but make a nice go-with. I think they were only used with carbonated beverages.
Thank you

Reaction score
I'd say probably Irish, dates to 1880-1910, and contained ginger ale. Every marked round bottom bottle like this that I've seen was for ginger ale, and although some were used in North America the applied lip makes me think it probably comes from Ireland where the majority of these originated.
Didn’t know that bit! Thanks for sharing that because I was always told by my grandfather that was a type of water bottle!

LalaGirl

Reaction score
I've dived a number of these "round-bottom" bottles over the years. Many are embossed, while many are not. Here's a thread from 2009, discussing this style of bottle:

Cheers,
DSD
Thanks for the link! I enjoyed reading more about that type of bottle...

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Just after I said that I'd never seen one marked for anything other than ginger ale, I came across a picture of this round bottom cream soda bottle. I suspect this is an example of a bottler re-using whatever bottles they could find though, rather than specially ordering round bottom bottles for their cream soda.
1605721719659.png

dirtfoot904

Reaction score
these "torpedo" style bottles were made with round bottoms in the beginning because the contents were usually carbonated and built up pressure inside of the vessel. there were lots of problems shipping flat bottom bottles because the pressure would blow the bottoms out of the bottles. this design was able to withstand the pressure and the rough handling in shipping. think of what a propane tank looks like.... round on bottom and top to withstand pressure... some of them are embossed around the bottom of the bottle. i have a couple with embossing down the sides that indicate they were either ginger ale or ginger beer from ireland.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Nice find! Round-bottom applied-lip sodas turn up in my finds occasionlly (1880s–90s sites). Most are slick, tho I've found a couple that are embossed Dublin or Belfast. Irish soda water / ginger ale was very popular back in the day. Because of their weight, the empties were sometimes used as barge ballast to help stabilize the load.

waterman

Reaction score
I noticed that no one has remarked at the depth of your dive (110 feet) That's a deeeep dive. I've recently quit diving at age 73.........Most of my best dives were in 35 to 45 feet of water. I found 100 feet & deeper quite oppressive. Short bottom time etc. My best finds were in shallower water. My hat is off to you. Be Safe!

waterman

Reaction score
Here's few pieces of 1850's Mocha ware found in 20 feet of water

Attachments

• SAM_1787.JPG
    SAM_1787.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 141

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads