Found the Motherload

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
So in Hawaii, generations of bottle diggers have picked up most of the good bottle spots. By the grace of God, I stumbled upon one just off the famed Manoa Falls hiking trail. I'm talking hundreds of bottles on the surface and who knows how many more beneath! I have a feeling that it may have been the dump that serviced the whole Manoa area. Most of the bottles appeared to be from the 1920s and 30s but there were some (albeit broken) applied lips here and there. I didn't have any tools so I was just picking stuff up. I ended up only taking one bottle. Correct me if I'm wrong but I found a roughly 120-year-old whiskey with an applied top. The monetary value is pretty negligible in my opinion but it is one of a few bottles in my collection from the turn of the century. It sadly has a lip chip, which is probably why past diggers left it. I also noticed that the bottle's base is slightly elliptical rather than the usual 'perfect' circle I am accustomed to. Heading back there on Thursday with a few buddies. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• P1090025.JPG
    P1090025.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 167
  • P1090026.JPG
    P1090026.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 168
  • P1090027.JPG
    P1090027.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 159
  • P1090028.JPG
    P1090028.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 150
  • P1090029.JPG
    P1090029.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 161

hemihampton

Reaction score
any mold lines on that bottle? maybe free blown is why the uneven shape? Looks old. Good Luck on your return trip. LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find, looks like a promising site! Not sure what your bottle would have contained, maybe wine? Doesn't look like it's from the US to me, and doesn't look like the sort of European bottles I'm used to seeing here. Maybe from Asia?

Hezezilla

Reaction score
any mold lines on that bottle? maybe free blown is why the uneven shape? Looks old. Good Luck on your return trip. LEON.
There are mold lines on it. It certainly is an applied top. It is pretty uneven as you say. It's not round and I later noticed that the shoulders aren't even the same! The neck sits at a roughly 8-degree angle.
Nice find, looks like a promising site! Not sure what your bottle would have contained, maybe wine? Doesn't look like it's from the US to me, and doesn't look like the sort of European bottles I'm used to seeing here. Maybe from Asia?
Now that you mention its origin could be Asian, that sure could be a possibility. To my knowledge, glass manufacturing plants in Japan were established in the 1880s so it's from the right era. I know a lot of Japanese immigrants lived in the surrounding area and I know that Japanese bottles have been found in nearby dumps and privies. It's not quite the right shape to be a Sake bottle but idk, maybe it was at one time.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There are mold lines on it. It certainly is an applied top. It is pretty uneven as you say. It's not round and I later noticed that the shoulders aren't even the same! The neck sits at a roughly 8-degree angle.

Now that you mention its origin could be Asian, that sure could be a possibility. To my knowledge, glass manufacturing plants in Japan were established in the 1880s so it's from the right era. I know a lot of Japanese immigrants lived in the surrounding area and I know that Japanese bottles have been found in nearby dumps and privies. It's not quite the right shape to be a Sake bottle but idk, maybe it was at one time.
Yeah that's why I was thinking Asia, I've seen diggers in Hawaii post about finding a lot of bottles from Japan. We got a lot of Japanese and Chinese bottles where I used to live on the west coast though, and I don't remember ever seeing any like yours.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
So in Hawaii, generations of bottle diggers have picked up most of the good bottle spots. By the grace of God, I stumbled upon one just off the famed Manoa Falls hiking trail. I'm talking hundreds of bottles on the surface and who knows how many more beneath! I have a feeling that it may have been the dump that serviced the whole Manoa area. Most of the bottles appeared to be from the 1920s and 30s but there were some (albeit broken) applied lips here and there. I didn't have any tools so I was just picking stuff up. I ended up only taking one bottle. Correct me if I'm wrong but I found a roughly 120-year-old whiskey with an applied top. The monetary value is pretty negligible in my opinion but it is one of a few bottles in my collection from the turn of the century. It sadly has a lip chip, which is probably why past diggers left it. I also noticed that the bottle's base is slightly elliptical rather than the usual 'perfect' circle I am accustomed to. Heading back there on Thursday with a few buddies. Wish me luck!
Just posted the same thing many many bottles good luck. Not bragging but same thing the surfaces early 1900 but it has 1800 in there too.

Mailman1960

Reaction score

Considering where you're at it may have been affected by a lava flow or burn dump just guessing.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Considering where you're at it may have been affected by a lava flow or burn dump just guessing.
I'm roaring with laughter! Forgive my rudeness but I find that hilarious! I live on Oahu and we have not had lava flows since ancient times. Only the Big Island has active volcanoes. Lava tubes are a possibility but I believe most have long since been filled with rubble or water.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I'm roaring with laughter! Forgive my rudeness but I find that hilarious! I live on Oahu and we have not had lava flows since ancient times. Only the Big Island has active volcanoes. Lava tubes are a possibility but I believe most have long since been filled with rubble or water.
A little hard to be rude with me, not a problem.
Giggy up

Reactions: Len

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18