Found this beachcombing in western newfoundland in the in january. Any ideas of how old or rare?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Newfie treasure hunter

Reaction score
20210326_160346.jpg
20210326_160355.jpg

GRACE ABOUND

BIRD SWING
Reaction score
Interesting to find a jam jar in North America. Usually they are found in UK. Makes absolute sense though as Newfoundland used to be owned by Britain. This was imported from the UK.
If You care to Look You CanFind It On google By typing in Wm Phartley's earthen ware Jams and Jelly Good Luck
Grace Abounds

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
They're quite a common find in Canada, they were imported from the UK. I've never seen this base mark on them, usually the Hartley jars have a picture of a tower on the base. This is W.P. Hartley by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Pickles_Hartley - he definitely had an unusual middle name! That brand of jam is still sold today in the UK.

Newfie treasure hunter

Reaction score
Interesting to find a jam jar in North America. Usually they are found in UK. Makes absolute sense though as Newfoundland used to be owned by Britain. This was imported from the UK.
Yes around here is where many British settlers landed. I beleive that it came from the resettled community across the bay call sandy point. That place is a heck of a lot older. Thanks for the info!

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
-
You may find this 1924 price list from Hartley's of interest.
It is presented as a small 'flipbook', just click on the link below the cover image.

-

-

-

:)

RCO

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the jar but love to go beach combing in Newfoundland , I'd imagine there'd be interesting stuff to find there

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado