Found this bottle and not sure about it Any Ideas?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ben

Reaction score
a beautiful flask... found via a super flooded river... full of gun powder... What a great story this one is turning out to be![:)]

lostkause17

Reaction score
Its got me so excited to find out exactly the whats about it. I only picked it up when I was cleaning up debris because I thought it was neat looking and come to find out boom!!!!! This is where im at.

epackage

Reaction score
Great to see it clean and very happy you didn't listen to that Douche and take him up on his offer...[;)]

Ben

Reaction score
I am glad you did not take him up on his offer also.... sooooo.... I will give you $50 for it [;)]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Awesome flask! I'd be ecstatic if I found that. It's perfectly whittled, has awesome embossing, and is apparently rare... Definitely go back there!

Oldmill

Reaction score
That is one sweet bottle. I have a hutch bottle which picture's two hands shaking, this is the now the second bottle that I've seen now with that. congrats on your new find

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Josh,

I'm not seeing the "A & Co." embossing. Is it in the oval placard on the eagle side?

Marksandco.jpg

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Surf the embossing A & Co is in the pennant passing through the shield. Look at the first picture in the post you can make the letters out there. He cleaned the bottle so good you cant see them now.[8D] Nice flask and very original. Probably an 1865 to 1875 made flask like the rest of the Clasped Hands charted flasks. We need to know the size I am assuming it is pint sized judging from the finger in the bottle picture. If the flask is pint sized then it is either a GXII-21 or GXII-22. The flask is attributed to the Adams & Co. Pittsburgh Pennsylvania by Stephen Van Rensselaer.As others have already stated in this post the top is different then most if not all of the other Clasped Hands/Shield Flasks in the GXII group which usually sport the single ring top making the flask very desirable. Although common by comparison to other historical flasks these clasped hands/ Shield flasks are still very collectable as really they were a celebration of the saving of the Union after the Civil war. I see these flasks really coming into their own in the next 20 years as the older 1820 to 1850 historical flasks become more scarce and out of the price range of a lot of collectors.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Hey there Steve, I'm glad you chimed in on this. Check out the number and placement of the vertical and horizontal lines in the shield on the UNION side. They don't match up with a 21 or 22. The "placard" on the eagle side is unlike a 21 or 22 also. I'd think it is more like the GXII-1, possibly a GXII-1a if you will.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky