found this week....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pchan

Reaction score
not by digging but just by walking around on sites that recently had homes demolished on them, I`d love to digbut frankly after seeing how deep some members go on their digs I just can`t see that happening in this city. The little glass "buttons" were found at the university across the street, I have about 50 of em now. The bottle were at another site and the marbles at yet another. Not ground breaking stuff but fun nonetheless....also found some run of the mill ceramic insulators.
The book I snapped the pic on is dated the the Ansei period in Japan 1854~1859 the time when the Japanese agreed to open the islands to trade under threat of bombardment my the US and Commodore Perry....a time of huge changes for the country needless to say. It`s a book on how to write kanji.

IMG_9987_zps87e1dd5d.jpg

pchan

Reaction score
OH yeah, the brown bottle has a lot of bubbles and the glass is "wavy "....not sure what to call it, and the seam is not flush. The waves are somewhat visible in the pic.

pchan

Reaction score
Stopped in to a site where some men were demolishing a house and asked if I could look around....no problem they said...and I found another small clear bottle very similar to this one but good news is, I asked if I could go back tomorrow...and they said OK...they took down one old house, theres another on the site and one more right next door that falling apart...so I can`t wait to see what I can find tomorrow. Check out my post in the marble section. They took our phone number because they said they often find some of the things I told them my wife and I collect, so I said I`d pay them for things I want and they`ll make more than they would just scrapping things. We had a chat....well, as good as I could muster in Japanese anyways....and had a few laughs about what I picked up but this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The waves in early bottles was caused by the mold cavity iron being too cold to let the hot glass blow to an even thickness. So it is really cold mold ripple. I guess thre term was whittled but that isn't how iron molds are made. t apparently carried over from dealing with wooden molds. RED Matthews

reach44

Reaction score
I read somewhere a while back that whittle marks originated from wooden molds. Thanks for the correct info.

goodman1966

Reaction score
Pchan didn't you say you were from Canada ? When you get back home I sure would like to swap you out of one of your Japanese bottles let us know when you come back across the big pond! Enjoy your post. Very different. Good hunting!!!!!!!

pchan

Reaction score
ben oui....Canadian through and through.

Yesterday I went back to the site and showed the guys pics on my phone of the types of things we collect and they said they`d call me when they move to the next job, I thought they`d call if and when they found something but they`d said once they finish this place next week they`ll move onto the next one and call me....`course people say all kinds of things they don`t mean here so we`ll see.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac