Four Roses Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
People used to think that amber bottles protected the contents better than clear bottles did. I think that might be why Orange Crush bottles switched to amber for a while before going back to clear in the sixties. So I think that's probably what they're talking about, though most other bottles I've seen that on have been a few decades later.

logueb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, Thanks Eric for locating the Ebay listing that shows the patent date of Feb 17 14 on the porcelain pouring spout. I believe that the intention was to prevent refilling the bottle. The contents could be poured out,(when the bottle was turned up) but the valve listed in the patent would not allow liquid to be put in when the bottle was upight. Hard to refill an upside down bottle. I have read stories where whiskey was watered down at bars and saloons or refilled with cheaper whiskey. That's what I like about this forum. Members are willing to help search and find answers. For me, the mystery is solved. A non-refillable bottle. This was a forerunner of the "Federal Law Forbids Sale or reuse "Also, mine has traces of the "grout" between the rings. Buster

botlguy

Reaction score
I agree that this forum is great for helping one another with various things. With that thought, in order to keep information factual, I believe the "Federal law forbids ,,,,,," wording was for the Fed's tax collection reasons rather than concern about watering down whiskey. Jim

logueb

Reaction score
Thanks Jim, Refilling bottles by bootleggers was a common problem and the feds were missing their revenue on taxed whiskey. I remember as a kid the problem with moonshiners down hear. Saw many destroyed stills in the swamps. I don't believe the problem is as bad nowdays. Hardly hear of any stills busted today. Didn't mean to mislead, Buster

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I have the exact same bottle. Does anyone know the value?
Probably very little, unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be much demand for liquor bottles of that era, especially without labels, even though some do have very nice embossing. Not sure why those fancy liquor bottles never became collectible the way that deco sodas did.

timeandabottle

Reaction score
I have a pre 1915 Paul Jones Four Roses without that row of text with the 1914 date. I wonder which is older? My question is what’s up with the giant base “slug plate”? I found one on eBay with this and looked at mine and sure enough, there’s an ~1 3/4” diameter crude slug plate on the base with the diamond logo in the center of it. What is that called? (parts of it are fairly sharp) Is it a bottom post mold?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 16

timeandabottle

Reaction score
Now I’m baffled. I read up more on bottom post molds. Mine has a small seam around the base shoulder in the vertical wall. Aha, it’s a cup-bottom mold. Wait, cup-bottom molds don’t have a seam in the bottom, yet mine does. Do you think they had a combination bottom post /cup mold?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 15

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I have a pre 1915 Paul Jones Four Roses without that row of text with the 1914 date. I wonder which is older? My question is what’s up with the giant base “slug plate”? I found one on eBay with this and looked at mine and sure enough, there’s an ~1 3/4” diameter crude slug plate on the base with the diamond logo in the center of it. What is that called? (parts of it are fairly sharp) Is it a bottom post mold?
It's a suction scar, you'll see them on any ABM bottle but on the older ones it's usually more pronounced. As far as I know it wasn't actually part of the mold but I'm not sure of the details of how ABM bottles are made.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado