Fragments Dug in East Oahu

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mailman1960

Reaction score
So in the location, I'm digging into specifically, there used to be pig farms and residences with mostly Japanese immigrant families back in the 20s through the 50s. There may have been houses back there in the early 1900s but I can't find much to back that up. So far, I can find mentions of Japanese, White, and a sole Mexican living in the valley from 1920-1940.

Prior to this, there are a lot of newspapers dating to the 1880s and 1890s. I also found mention of a Hawaiian man who owned a plot in the valley in 1837. Furthermore, the agriculture teacher has a stone poi mortar which I presume was dug up there as well.

Here's a picture of a big refuse pile once located along the main road passing by. Dates to 1942 I think.
Look around the earliest roads before being paved. Especially if a river runs by it, people tended to think it disappeared when put in the river and a lot dumps were near to. It's all about location, wait that's a restaurant.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Look around the earliest roads before being paved. Especially if a river runs by it, people tended to think it disappeared when put in the river and a lot dumps were near to. It's all about location, wait that's a restaurant.
Yeah, location is definitely important. The road down the valley used to be called Kapakahi Road. "Kapakahi" kinda means "crooked" or "bent". Anyways, that road ran parallel to the stream. Here's an aerial image from 1952. I'm digging in the valley second furthest to the right. Where I am is basically all the way up the road.
http://magis.manoa.hawaii.edu/remotesensing/GeoserverFiles/ShpFiles/Oahu/022/jpegs/2429

Edit: oh also, I have found mention of an upholstery shop, a poultry farm, and an express company as well as the dozens of houses and at least 4 pig farms.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Keep up the good work! You're going to have alot of fun and not just find interesting artifacts but also the stories and histories that go with them. You already seem to be doing everything right, all you need to do is find more places to dig, then the finds will definitely increase. Remember the deeper you dig the further back in time you will see.

willong

Reaction score
As I said, I expected to find lots of bottles in that spot especially considering people back then would often dump trash in the streams.
First, Welcome aboard!

If the streams you are searching run in ravines, gullies or narrow-bottomed valleys keep in mind that the shards you are finding likely washed down from another location. People being people, those who discarded the trash originally probably did not expend any more effort than what it required to back a wagon to the top of the slope and dump their rubbish over the side. Treat your finds like a placer miner searching for the mother lode. It seems you already have a knack for research, so I'd recommend looking for historical maps and aerial photos for clues to likely sources of the trash and convenient dumping spots nearby those sources.

For decades, Hawaiian bottle diggers have recovered some storied finds from around the world sources of bottles given their islands' long agricultural and trading history--hope to see you contribute to the recoveries!

Happy hunting!

EDIT: I posted before reading through the entire thread--sorry for repeating things you've already read and know!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
First, Welcome aboard!

If the streams you are searching run in ravines, gullies or narrow-bottomed valleys keep in mind that the shards you are finding likely washed down from another location. People being people, those who discarded the trash originally probably did not expend any more effort than what it required to back a wagon to the top of the slope and dump their rubbish over the side. Treat your finds like a placer miner searching for the mother lode. It seems you already have a knack for research, so I'd recommend looking for historical maps and aerial photos for clues to likely sources of the trash and convenient dumping spots nearby those sources.

For decades, Hawaiian bottle diggers have recovered some storied finds from around the world sources of bottles given their islands' long agricultural and trading history--hope to see you contribute to the recoveries!

Happy hunting!

EDIT: I posted before reading through the entire thread--sorry for repeating things you've already read and know!
The area I'm looking it at specifically was higher in elevation when compared to the rest of the valley so I now believe that my finds only concerned one or two household's worth of trash. Right now, I'm trying to get permission to dig into other spots on the property. I have another dump site in a nearby valley that probably served half a dozen households and I can clearly see the difference in volume. Perhaps I should post an update on my progress.

willong

Reaction score
The area I'm looking it at specifically was higher in elevation when compared to the rest of the valley so I now believe that my finds only concerned one or two household's worth of trash. Right now, I'm trying to get permission to dig into other spots on the property. I have another dump site in a nearby valley that probably served half a dozen households and I can clearly see the difference in volume. Perhaps I should post an update on my progress.
Updates are how this* old fart gets his vicarious digging adventure; so...:D

* Perhaps one or two others as well.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Updates are how this* old fart gets his vicarious digging adventure; so...:D

* Perhaps one or two others as well.
Unfortunately, I haven't much to update on for the Waialae-Iki dig site. The plot of land I was digging kind of dried up and as of now, I am trying to get permission to dig two other spots. One is probably 30s and 40s with little indication of advanced age. But hey, who knows, maybe it's one of those spots that just gets older and older as you go. The other spot is probably late 1800s I think. I've only got a handful of fragments from there but one of the school custodians dug the base to what I believe was a black glass Saké bottle. I'm more excited about that spot.
JJkCwdL8gnOvg8U37r_Rb6CrLeIn18q3DCbgJLF-L2tBe0CIRO15NVUJECWp8wGH04o0kmKMgGCB0ShXaz6kLaue5fYalKz60N4NFoNO0Q53kmGjmhv5rMI2quGo6k4X4mxJrR6qFz3MKrNUxvKmpw0
1860s-1880s Clarke & White Co. fragments
In the meantime, I have been keeping busy with seeking out other dumps. Some of the old timers told me about good spots but I've yet to go to any of them since they're an hour's drive from me. I've also done some research on areas closer to me and I think I've got a good spot to hit up. As well as that, I got lucky when I stumbled upon another two sites which seem very promising. All in all, I have 6 potential spots to dig at.

The one that I have been concerning myself the most with is actually just a few blocks from my house. I posted about that in the post here. Since then, I have gone back to that spot a few more times. Just this past Saturday I found a decent spot to dig and found bits of dinnerware, an enamelware pot, and a very nice (albeit broken) machine-made Castoria. I have to go back soon or I am going to go crazy. I am pretty convinced there is a sizeable dump somewhere up there.
1676445328541.png

Well, there you have it Willong, I hope that satisfies your urge for today. I will definitely update you as I find more.

Blessing from Hawaii.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Update:
Today I was talking to one of the local old timers of FB and I was able to identify a couple of my fragments. One was a Honolulu Soda Works soda from the late 20s. I was also able to find out that at my school, people have dug there in the past. I got a tip about a specific spot on campus which I'll hit tomorrow. One story I was told was back in the day, a guy found 12-15 Hind Clarke Dairy ACLs which are about $130 ea. I'm excited. If I find anything I'll post again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu