Ft Jackson La. Olive Green Wine

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bhannon

Reaction score
Makes since, thanks again
Brian
That bottle
Hi Bannon
I'm no expert but my guess is your bottle just missed the pontil or even possibly that is a sticky ball pontil. No matter what, it's a nice bottle, and I would suspect it was made in the early 1860s.

Anyone is welcome to correct me here if they disagree. Roy
Thanks for the insight Roy. The bottle is very cool, my wife’s favorite. It’s one gifted to us by my wife’s grandparents. They paid $20 for it in 1969.
Brian

Roy

Reaction score
That bottle

Thanks for the insight Roy. The bottle is very cool, my wife’s favorite. It’s one gifted to us by my wife’s grandparents. They paid $20 for it in 1969.
Brian
That's terrific.
I'm sure that bottle is worth way more than $20 but it really doesn't matter. With that bit of family history I'm sure you will never sell it. Just enjoy it . Every bottle has a story and this one has at least two stories!!!
Roy

Roy

Reaction score
Hi Bannon
I'm no expert but my guess is your bottle just missed the pontil or even possibly that is a sticky ball pontil. No matter what, it's a nice bottle, and I would suspect it was made in the early 1860s.

Anyone is welcome to correct me here if they disagree. Roy
Bhannon, Sorry I missed the h in your name.
Someday I will have to figure out how to
edit things on this phone... Roy

Bhannon

Reaction score
That's terrific.
I'm sure that bottle is worth way more than $20 but it really doesn't matter. With that bit of family history I'm sure you will never sell it. Just enjoy it . Every bottle has a story and this one has at least two stories!!!
Roy
No doubt Roy, I mention the price because every bottle, and there are many hundreds, has a little sticker of what was paid or where it was dug and the year. There is a master catalog that we are yet to find among all the bottle books and bottle show awards, receipts of bottles sold, hand drawn maps of dig sights and metal detecting sights from the 60s. My wife’s grandparents were true treasure hunters, wish I could have learned more from them before they passed.
Brian

Reactions: Roy

sandchip

Reaction score
Off topic but the date on this John Ryan. Is 1859 the patent date like mason jars or the year it was made?
Normally, with Ryans, the ones of that mold with the date are always smooth based. The ones without are pontiled. I've never seen a pontiled dated version. Not sure of the significance of the 1859, which appears on several of the Ryan molds, all smooth based, as does 1866. His bottling establishment was started in 1852. This is one of the two earliest molds.

ryan.jpgryan1.jpg

Last edited:

GAjosh

Reaction score
I only collect Ryans and there are no known dated pontiled Ryans. The original pontiled molds were altered, with date and smooth base, even though they have a kickup they were not pontiled.
cd0bf09bb20d728c017e6d4536973af3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

crwncrk

Reaction score
A guy in Sav with a nice collection of Ryans told me that most of them were made in Philadelphia and the war stopped the flow of bottles to the south, which didn’t start back up til after the war, thus no Ryans with wartime dates. Not sure how accurate that is.

GAjosh

Reaction score
A guy in Sav with a nice collection of Ryans told me that most of them were made in Philadelphia and the war stopped the flow of bottles to the south, which didn’t start back up til after the war, thus no Ryans with wartime dates. Not sure how accurate that is.
All is true

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado