G.brandy English crock ? Can anyone drop some knowledge here?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

emeyetee

Reaction score
English I believe, but I can't find anything with the "g" part

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200226-101808.jpg
    Screenshot_20200226-101808.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 274

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
Hi emeytee,

You are correct, your ceramic spirit barrel will be of UK origin and will date to pre 1900.
-
With regard to the contents you may already know that 'Brandy' refers to a specific way of distilling alcohol from fermented fruit with the application of heat and the name was originally derived from the Dutch 'gebrande wijn' which literally means 'burnt wine'.
-
I will always stand corrected by my understanding has always been that the letter prefix in relation to Brandy
on these ceramic barrels denoted the type of fruit from which the Brandy had been distilled such as P for Peach etc.
-
The G prefix I believe denotes Grappa or Grape Brandy.

-

-

The B has me a bit 'flumoxed' though!!

:)

Last edited:

Flasks

Reaction score
English I believe, but I can't find anything with the "g" part
Look on the bottom for touch marks, letters or symbols. I can't be specific about the maker other than is appears to have been made at the Wedgewood factory in England. The applique, the satin like finish and the color combination just say :Wedgewood". If it is...that would be a very rare piece as Wedgewood main production from the mid to late 1800's was toiletries, table pieces, vases and statuettes. Great piece.

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
Hi Flasks,

These type of sprig decorated barrels are not uncommon in the UK and similar types were made by a number of different potteries.
Although very 'eye appealing' they do not command a great deal of money pricewise.

Last edited:

emeyetee

Reaction score
Look on the bottom for touch marks, letters or symbols. I can't be specific about the maker other than is appears to have been made at the Wedgewood factory in England. The applique, the satin like finish and the color combination just say :Wedgewood". If it is...that would be a very rare piece as Wedgewood main production from the mid to late 1800's was toiletries, table pieces, vases and statuettes. Great piece.
Thank you very much for your response! Appreciated!

emeyetee

Reaction score
Hi emeytee,

You are correct, your ceramic spirit barrel will be of UK origin and will date to pre 1900.
-
With regard to the contents you may already know that 'Brandy' refers to a specific way of distilling alcohol from fermented fruit with the application of heat and the name was originally derived from the Dutch 'gebrande wijn' which literally means 'burnt wine'.
-
I will always stand corrected by my understanding has always been that the letter prefix in relation to Brandy
on these ceramic barrels denoted the type of fruit from which the Brandy had been distilled such as P for Peach etc.
-
The G prefix I believe denotes Grappa or Grape Brandy.

-

-

The B has me a bit 'flumoxed' though!!

Fantastically informative response sir, thank you kindly.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado