G-I-129 Franklin Delano Roosevelt TVA Norris Dam Quart Calabash

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I have some Washington and World's Fair flasks from this era but I'd never seen this one it would be a cool find in a 30's dump. Love the lightning hand and the fact that its dated and I'd call that a saturn pontil.

glass man

Reaction score
Great STEVE!!A Wheaton I would love to have...! Love the history..Just curious..was there any bottle made like this for the "HOOVER DAM"?

My dad was in the CCC [sure you know what this was.] in NEVADA while it was being built..one of the jobs he had was working with Archaeologists that were digging up an Indian village.including the burial ground,because it would be under water once the Dam was built. [wish I had asked dad what Tribe it was..this probably in a museum some where would love to see it if so!]

Dad said because of the dry climate the bow strings were still intact as well as the hair on the buried!

If there is such a bottle would love to have it just because of the connection to my pop.

THANKS STEVE GREAT POST AS USUAL!!

GEORGE HARRISON WOULD HAVE BEEN 70 YEARS OLD TODAY!! Had to put that in..YEAH YEAH YEAH![;)]JAMIE

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks Steve and Jamie it is a neat original bottle. I am not aware Jamie of a bottle commemorating the Hoover Dam but there should have been and the Clevengers missed out on that one also. I am sure it would be worth a good deal today if they had undertaken the measure.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Gotta love it! Hey, we're in the midst of a huge depression and millions of people are out of work, starving and dying even, lets make some bottles. [:D] Well, at least it was privately funded.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Gotta love it! Hey, we're in the midst of a huge depression and millions of people are out of work, starving and dying even, lets make some bottles. [:D] Well, at least it was privately funded.
Eric I know you attached the smiley do I detect a little sarcasm[8D], my point was not on the times hell the Clevenger Brothers designed the Booz bottle look alike just before the beginning of the great depression to achieve one thing to pass it off as the real one after seeing an original "Booz" bottle priced $160 at the 1926 Sesquicentennial Exposition in Philadelphia.

So yeah the country was hurting but again my point was on the Clevengers basis for a business plan early on. Had they been commemorating National Events like take for instance Hiroshima,battle of the bulge,whatever those bottles would be commanding good dollars today. As for the Doctor in Tennessee he was probably proud of the Dam which was built,was a bottle collector who owned other historical flasks and found it fitting for the moment no matter how hard times were then.

Now you know with only 816 being made some of those have become lost ,thrown away,damaged ect making the existing surviving number probably a lot closer to 6 to 700. Your point is well taken though and your comment was addressing the commission of the bottle. Our country's economic climate just before the great depression is eerily similar to today, unfortunately these type of conditions tend to repeat themselves and you can feel this beginning to happen in the year or so. I see our Country becoming another Greece in a short time and this hobby will be forgotten for a while in the not to distant future.

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Thanks Steve and Jamie it is a neat original bottle. I am not aware Jamie of a bottle commemorating the Hoover Dam but there should have been and the Clevengers missed out on that one also. I am sure it would be worth a good deal today if they had undertaken the measure.

THANK YOU!!JAMIE

edro3111

Reaction score
First of all, this is my first time on this site because I just discovered it on a search. Great reading and fine photos. Glad to be here.

Regarding the Norris Dam TVA flask, I was fortunate enough to have the designer, Dr. Hall, as one of my physicians growing up before he retired. He was an avid bottle collector and I was always fascinated by his rainbow of colored bottles he had on display in a tall, shelved window in his office, including one of these flasks. I was much older before I discovered the story of the bottle and the fact that Dr. Hall had designed it. Being a collector of Norris Dam memorabilia (I live 10 miles downstream from the dam) I absolutely had to have one of the flasks. Over the years, I have managed to obtain 3 and I cherish them. The 1936 date was the year Norris Dam was finished also and it was the first dam in the huge TVA system. I also wonder how many of the flasks still exist. Normal accidents, purposeful throwing away of them without knowing what they are and such makes it difficult to judge but i doubt very many are still around. I have two friends who have them near me and both had them passed along by their parents who received them during the dedication of the dam in 1936. If you ever come across one, don't flinch. BUY it! A truly beautiful and unique addition to one's collection! By the way, very nice photos of the flask!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Eddie send me a picture of all three of yours and I will post them on my website. http://historical-american-glass.com/index.html It certainly is a great bottle isn't it!! You can contact me through the Private message feature. Ill contact you here at this forum, stick around it will be coming shortley.......

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora