Gallon scroll flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JustGlass

Reaction score
Yup, doesn't look like a old one to me. I don't like the lip or pontil base along with the look of the glass. It's not the first time Ive seen these repros go for more than they are worth but I have never seen one go this high. That seller is dancing his way to the bank.

KentOhio

Reaction score
There are gallon scrolls listed in the McKearin book. They have polished pontils too. Are they fakes?

kungfufighter

Reaction score
The examples with polished pontil marks are 19th century originals.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Just gave the photos another look and if in fact I am seeing a polished pontil on the base (hard to tell from the auction listing) the flask is an original. At first glance it appeared that the bottle was smooth based - all of those I've seen are flint glass with a polished pontil scar. I am embarrassed to say that I do not remember if the few I've handled were blown in a four-piece mold but I am certain that they were blown in a flint glass house with a polished pontil mark. Made my initial assessment without giving the piece a close enough examination.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
doesnt look like a polished pontil mark to me but its really hard to tell for sure with that camera angle.

februarystarskc

Reaction score
by no means am I an expert, but the pontil mark seems very symmetrical. Even if they polished the pontil area, wouldn't it be a little more crude/irregular? The glass just seems very clean/bubblefree.

The bottom row far left kind of looks like the bottle. Notice the neck is much slender and straight.

D31D25C61B96441CA759F623C48C8AA3.jpg

Attachments

• D31D25C61B96441CA759F623C48C8AA3.jpg
    D31D25C61B96441CA759F623C48C8AA3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 73

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks for your showing. februarystarskc; That is a neat assortment of schroll flasks. Does yours show a four part mold seam? I never realized they made them that large. RED Matthews

februarystarskc

Reaction score
I guess I should of mentioned that they weren't mine. I wish they were. They belong to David Beadle. here is the link to the pic. It is a large pic, and you can really zoom in.

http://www.antiquebottles.com/southeast/Louisville03/DisplayScroll.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18