Gallon scroll flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I love happy endings! Thanks Jeff!!
Could you rephrase that Charlie? The urban dictionary version of that makes me nervous;)

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Sorry Kung.. I don't speak Urban.. how shall I rephrase it best for you?

...how's this:

Hannibal.jpg

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Wow, I never would've guessed that's an original flask... Something about the glass seems way too perfect and new for it to be original.

So then somebody got a really good deal on this flask?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
So 4 part mold was done for these monsters? That was what threw me at first. Some of the detail didn't quite match to that number either. I figured an early but still a commemorative bottle. Say the centennial -1900.
Thanks for the clarification because I was sure stumped.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

Wow, I never would've guessed that's an original flask... Something about the glass seems way too perfect and new for it to be original.

So then somebody got a really good deal on this flask?

They are rare but ugly too;)

The glass appears to be different because it is flint and not bottle glass as one would expect. These flasks were probably blown in Pittsburgh - McKearin suggests John Robinson & Sons.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
John Robinson & Sons
Hi Jeff'
This scroll flask is considered the oldest of all the scroll flasks of this type made in the Mid-Western glass works at a manufacture date between 1823 and 1830. The mold for this flask is now thought to have been made by Joshua Laird the famous mold maker who carved quite a few of the early Washington Eagle Flasks between 1826 the fiftieth anniversary of Independence and 1832 the 100th anniversary of Washington's birth. These big boy scroll flasks are quite rare and you don't see them to often. The polished flint pontil mark is a trademark of Robinson s glass works as these works perfected more then anyone the early 3 ringed molded decanters cup plates,salts and other pressed glass. I haven't finished writing and compiling my thoughts on the Masonic influence across the board in the late 1700s and the early 1800s on glassware in the United States it is coming soon!!. I will let the cat out of the bag a little, the scroll flasks were intended for and the design on them very Masonic in decor.Although the Masons as a group faded about 1836 as most joined the Whig party they never really went away they just operated more secretly then in prior years.

9FFA21F7E34E4144BCD73C3F772444DE.jpg

Attachments

• 9FFA21F7E34E4144BCD73C3F772444DE.jpg
    9FFA21F7E34E4144BCD73C3F772444DE.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 72

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member