Galveston Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I also went out digging and although it was a bit of a slow day overall I did dig this awesome early Henry Cortes blob from Galveston...super rare variation of this bottle that made the whole day worthwhile!

Attachments

• IMG_5719.jpg
    IMG_5719.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 285

photolith

Reaction score
Holy cow, what awesome finds, I lived in Houston but before I got into bottle collecting, sure wish I could dig some of those privies now. It’s probably fairly easy digging since it’s mostly sand there.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I've never dug in Houston, but Galveston can be challenging because of the sandy clay, the oyster shells, and the water. Lots and lots of water. And the probing is super tough because there is 2' or more of compacted crushed oyster impregnated with bricks on most lots.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out last Sunday to do some digging. Was disgusted to find that someone poached my digging spot and left a number of large open holes...this on a lot that is mowed periodically! I lay down wood, cut sod, and so forth to keep things looking nice so the lot owner won't revoke my permission but these folks just tore open several big holes and left them. Nonetheless, I got into a few trash pits and found some odds and ends, including a super uncommon machine-made embossed pharmacy bottle from Galveston with a pour spout, a hard to find milk, an extremely rare Galveston codd soda, a Houston Christmas coke, and some miscellaneous medicines and so forth. Of course spent half the day filling in the holes the other diggers made. Made me sick to my stomach...I really can't stand lazy diggers. If you are going to poach someone's spot, at least have the courtesy of leaving it as nice as the digger you are poaching from!

Attachments

• IMG_6109.jpg
    IMG_6109.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_6110.jpg
    IMG_6110.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_6111.jpg
    IMG_6111.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 311

nhpharm

Reaction score
Any ideas on what the hobnail bottle could have been? I assume some kind of shaker but not sure. Its a real pretty light amber.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I think you are right! Thanks much!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Went out last Sunday to do some digging. Was disgusted to find that someone poached my digging spot and left a number of large open holes...this on a lot that is mowed periodically! I lay down wood, cut sod, and so forth to keep things looking nice so the lot owner won't revoke my permission but these folks just tore open several big holes and left them. Nonetheless, I got into a few trash pits and found some odds and ends, including a super uncommon machine-made embossed pharmacy bottle from Galveston with a pour spout, a hard to find milk, an extremely rare Galveston codd soda, a Houston Christmas coke, and some miscellaneous medicines and so forth. Of course spent half the day filling in the holes the other diggers made. Made me sick to my stomach...I really can't stand lazy diggers. If you are going to poach someone's spot, at least have the courtesy of leaving it as nice as the digger you are poaching from!

I know exactly how you feel. I know of some local Diggers that leave open holes & trash everywhere they dig. I had a whole desolate abandoned city block to myself where me & Tom dug roughly 20-30 privies but filled them all in. put sod back over them if it had sod, sometimes just dirt but after a few weeks & a couple of rains you'd never know we were there. Then these guys intercept, leave holes every where & now all the neighbors made about the mess. The guy leaving the holes is mad we filled our holes in, because he probes our old hole & starts digging it only to find we already dug it. Said if we left our holes open like he does then he'd know where we dug & were not to dig. Anyways, enough complaining, I really like that Codd, seems any American Codd is tough to come by as most are from overseas but a Texas one has gotta be really rare I'd assume, most of the American ones I've seen are more from the East Coast area. Congrats. LEON.

nhpharm

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, only Houston and Galveston had Codd sodas in Texas, and both are super rare. I was over the moon to dig this example. Someday I want to dig one of the Houston ones!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Selfish scum that I would love to catch in the act. Wish I lived closer I would have helped you fill in those holes. I actually caught some folks I knew digging in a nearby town. I stopped and asked them if they had permission, to which they said yes. I asked who was it as I know everyone in town and knew who owned the lot. I told them to clean up and get real permission as they were caught in a lie. Sad. Haven't seen them since.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky