Galveston Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out Sunday for a dig on a lot that I last dug several years ago. Probed a strip down the center of the lot before the sun came up and marked some possible pits. The first hole was a dud but the second hole ended up being a trash pit from around 1900...turned up an Oleander City hutch soda, a couple of Galveston Brewing bottles, a baby bottle, several marbles, and some odds and ends. Poked around the sides of the trash pit and found that it opened up into a second trash pit that was much earlier than the first...probably early 1870's. Pulled out a nice early Galveston pharmacy bottle, a super rare Schultz patent Solyer soda bottle, an umbrella ink, and a few other interesting bits as well as some heartbreaker bitters shards (Senour's Calisaya Bitters and an Argyle Bitters). Might have to do a bit more digging on this lot! Good day, but with the late August heat of Texas in full force.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 107
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 109
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 113
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 116
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 110
  • g6.jpg
    g6.jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 111

webe992

Reaction score
The Solyer's looks to be in great shape too!

nhpharm

Reaction score
I love the food bottles as well...I have quite a large collection of different fancy food bottles. You find a lot of variation in Galveston on the food/condiment front for sure.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out Sunday with the boys and dug a couple of pits. Found a few odds and ends with the real treasure being this nice F.A. Conant pontiled soda from New Orleans. Never imagined I would be finding pontiled bottles in Galveston...blows me away every time. It was the hottest dig so far for the year so we only lasted until about noon.

Attachments

• d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    853.1 KB · Views: 110
  • gg1.jpg
    gg1.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 116

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
As always, killer stuff. Glad to see your helper digging with you. Heat never got to me before but this year maybe the turning point. I never sweat so much.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
This shit is crazy !!! I’d think you were digging old privies up north or in the west, not in the south! This stuff is really old. Crazy to think this stuff is coming from Texas. Can you imagine what the guys in the 1970s found? They were having the time of their lives, so much so, they wiped out a majority of the old stuff in Texas and the United States.

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
People are inherently lazy. Bottle diggers miss things. Even i am guilty of rushing through a dig. One thing or another, my aching back or the heat...add some mosquitos and well you get what I am trying to say.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Diggers had different targets back then as well. I go through the process of getting permission on residential lots, researching what was there, probing a million holes, digging a bunch of dud holes and filling them in, and hopefully finding some stuff from time to time. Back in the 1970's, the big dumps in Galveston and Houston were accessible as well as lots of big construction sites, so that is where the diggers around here focused. There was some privy digging going on, but they certainly didn't dig it out. I think this goes for just about any town in Texas...look for the privies and the backyard trash pits.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora