Galveston Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Yeah...I was pretty excited about it. A cool color too.

That is just an amazing, AMAZING bottle. I have never seen a soda bottle that color. I either want to go digging with u and the family- or I am just going to have to live vicariously thru your pix and continue drooling on my brand new iPad! The other was a minute past AppleCare when it quit on me- probably a drooling issue! I guess that’s a pretty long drive, anyway! Lol! Still, your sure digging some incredible stuff, there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nhpharm

Reaction score
After an involuntary month off, got back to it yesterday. Still quite hot here in Texas but dug 4 pretty big holes...very little showed up out of any of them but we did come up with two cracked local hutch sodas, a pharmacy bottle, and the prize of the trip, a beautiful dark amber umbrella ink bottle that just missed being pontiled...my son dug that one up. It was awesome to get back out digging and always nice to come home with something to add to the collection.

Attachments

• Grayson2.jpg
    Grayson2.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 120
  • grayson1.jpg
    grayson1.jpg
    751.4 KB · Views: 132

webe142

Reaction score
I've been following this thread for a while. I dig on Galveston too and thought I'd start sharing as well.

I've been chasing an 1870s-ish oyster layer, and digging the area out in a grid. There are more "recent" deposits on top and I've hit everything from 1890s to 1940s above the oysters.

I didn't find much in the oysters this trip, but hit a hutch cache immediately above. 15 hutches, including the elusive caveman, 2 scarce big "O" WOGs, and 8 pheonix bottling works. Previously, I'd never found more then two hutches on a dig before. I found a rare TX cure bottle too.

A great day!

Attachments

• 20211025_153650.jpg
    20211025_153650.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 125
  • 20211025_154713.jpg
    20211025_154713.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
  • 20211024_171545.jpg
    20211024_171545.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Wow…. That Wells is really nice. Apparently, Galveston has better trash than northern Cali! That’s a lot of hutches, there….

nhpharm

Reaction score
Wow…. That Wells is really nice. Apparently, Galveston has better trash than northern Cali! That’s a lot of hutches, there….

Trust me-Webe142's haul is not typical. I've gone entire years without digging that many hutch sodas in Galveston.

webe142

Reaction score

These results aren't typical. Its probably pretty accurate to call this a dream dig.

I dug twice as many hutches in one morning as the prior 20 months of routine digging combined. And I've never dug so much as a shard of the caveman before.

There is the potential to find some awesome stuff in Galveston though. I figure if I'm stubborn enough, and move enough dirt, I'm bound to find something eventually.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out Sunday and did a lot of probing and digging. The first hole of the day was the best...it was a tiny trash pit but loaded with early 1870's stuff...ended up finding a Gilka, a nice blackglass ale in a bit of an odd form, a large stoneware beer, and two very interesting amber case gin bottles that look to me to be American...honestly never seen anything quite like them. Pretty excited about those. The next four holes were basically duds with some buttons and a few marbles but not much else.

Attachments

• Galvestonn.jpg
    Galvestonn.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 112

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I
Went out Sunday and did a lot of probing and digging. The first hole of the day was the best...it was a tiny trash pit but loaded with early 1870's stuff...ended up finding a Gilka, a nice blackglass ale in a bit of an odd form, a large stoneware beer, and two very interesting amber case gin bottles that look to me to be American...honestly never seen anything quite like them. Pretty excited about those. The next four holes were basically duds with some buttons and a few marbles but not much else.
I like those Gins. Do you ever find labels on bottles you dig up ? Seems like the right conditions for it. The environment has to be constantly wet or dry, and being in a island, I would think the ground stays fairly wet. Galveston is really a treasure trove. Most houses there are 100 years old, and from what I can remember of years going, there isn’t much modern buildings taking up the island. Truly a historical city.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora