Galveston Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out Sunday with my oldest son...was a bit windy and cold but we dug several big holes and came home with a few bottles, mostly all from one hole. A bit of a slow day but at least we didn't get skunked!

Attachments

• February 27 Dig.jpg
    February 27 Dig.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 125

willong

Reaction score
Went out Sunday with my oldest son...was a bit windy and cold but we dug several big holes and came home with a few bottles, mostly all from one hole. A bit of a slow day but at least we didn't get skunked!
Must be nice to have such diggin's close to hand.

Is that one devise a hydrometer?

Thanks for posting.

nhpharm

Reaction score
It's not so close unfortunately...we drive about 1.5 hrs each way to get to Galveston from the house.

I believe it is a douche syringe of some kind. We find a lot of such items in the area we are digging (which was a hotspot for brothels), though usually made of hard rubber, not glass.

Clayton J. Migl

Reaction score
Went back out Sunday in some glorious weather with a friend and my son to a lot that I had not hit for a while but felt there was still some potential on. We probed for a while and found a few promising spots. First hole had a couple blackglass bottles, a broken Sand's Sarsaparilla, and a German Syrup bottle but not much else. Second hole was absolutely packed with 1850's or early 1860's blackglass bottles...mostly broken but some that were whole. That hole also turned up two pontiled soda bottles, a pontiled mustard bottle, and in the shallower parts of the hole, a total of 7 hutch sodas and two local pharmacy bottles. The third hole continued the streak with a total of 3 more hutch sodas and two beer bottles surfacing. Just an awesome day of digging and we all went home with something for our collections.

I really like the slick Civil War era whiskies that come out of Galveston. I’d buy those all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Went back out Sunday in some glorious weather with a friend and my son to a lot that I had not hit for a while but felt there was still some potential on. We probed for a while and found a few promising spots. First hole had a couple blackglass bottles, a broken Sand's Sarsaparilla, and a German Syrup bottle but not much else. Second hole was absolutely packed with 1850's or early 1860's blackglass bottles...mostly broken but some that were whole. That hole also turned up two pontiled soda bottles, a pontiled mustard bottle, and in the shallower parts of the hole, a total of 7 hutch sodas and two local pharmacy bottles. The third hole continued the streak with a total of 3 more hutch sodas and two beer bottles surfacing. Just an awesome day of digging and we all went home with something for our collections.

Wow, that’s quite a haul, you must be smiling ear to ear.

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score
Went out last weekend and dug several holes in a grid around where we dug last trip. One of the holes dove down into a nice early trash pit that had a very early Galveston pharmacy bottle in it (Henry Veers), a Civil War bayonet, and a Mexican Mustang Liniment, and some sort of pontiled bottle that looks a bit like an ink. That same hole had a crown top Oleander City up high as well as a center script straight-sided Coca-Cola bottle. Another of the holes had a bunch of beer bottles in it from Houston and Galveston. Lots of "dollar bottles" too. Overall a great day!

The fourth image, what kind of large flared lip bottle was that, some kind bath or toilet water? Super cool. The coffin flasks and the ribbon flasks are cool too.

Reaction score

I love that small aqua ink bottle!

nhpharm

Reaction score
I really like the slick Civil War era whiskies that come out of Galveston. I’d buy those all day.

I'll have some cheap at the Houston show that hopefully will happen in October.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi