Galveston Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Yep...as far as I am aware, Texas had a total of 3 different Codds from 2 different companies. The Mignon Bottling Works had them from Galveston, and the Star Bottling Works had two different versions of them from Houston. All are extremely rare...used for just a short period of time and then even more handicapped for survival because every child wanted the marble out of them.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Here is the newer of the two versions of the Star from Houston.

Attachments

• star1.jpg
    star1.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 82

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out on Saturday for one last dig in 2022. It had rained a few inches in Galveston a few days before and it made digging this sandy lot a real mess. Holes kept filling with water and caving in. Dug 3 holes; all three had stuff in them but it was a battle all day to keep them from flooding. First hole had a rare but damaged hutch soda from Galveston in it. Second hole had a very rare quart Galveston Brewing beer bottle in it; these are very tough to find and this was definitely the find of the day. In the second hole, there was an earlier area that dove down and was super sandy and wet and we found a pickle jar, a heartbreaker 16 ounce Galveston pharmacy bottle, and a headless 2 gallon demijohn in it. The third hole had dozens of slick flasks and pharmacy bottles in it but did turn up one Galveston crown top soda...always nice to find something local. Nonetheless, hopefully the next time I go out the water will be less of an issue...it was a battle all day.

Attachments

• 20224.jpg
    20224.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20223.jpg
    20223.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20222.jpg
    20222.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20221.jpg
    20221.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 84

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Went out on Saturday for one last dig in 2022. It had rained a few inches in Galveston a few days before and it made digging this sandy lot a real mess. Holes kept filling with water and caving in. Dug 3 holes; all three had stuff in them but it was a battle all day to keep them from flooding. First hole had a rare but damaged hutch soda from Galveston in it. Second hole had a very rare quart Galveston Brewing beer bottle in it; these are very tough to find and this was definitely the find of the day. In the second hole, there was an earlier area that dove down and was super sandy and wet and we found a pickle jar, a heartbreaker 16 ounce Galveston pharmacy bottle, and a headless 2 gallon demijohn in it. The third hole had dozens of slick flasks and pharmacy bottles in it but did turn up one Galveston crown top soda...always nice to find something local. Nonetheless, hopefully the next time I go out the water will be less of an issue...it was a battle all day.
Nice finish for the year. Hope 2023 is productive for you. That's a great beer. Wouldn't mind having an example in my collection. Thanks for sharing and put my name on the next one you find.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Went out Saturday for a dig...lot had dried out some but it looks like at about 4-4.5' water table will be a problem regardless. Nonetheless, dug two holes...first hole had some bottles super shallow...some unmarked slick quart beers, some big whiskies (also slick), and some quart milk bottles. Found four that were whole...three embossed and one slick. I had never seen the Weaver before and had previously only seen a pint of the Schaper. It is extremely rare to dig quart milks in Galveston...in 10 years of digging there I have only found perhaps 5 in reasonable condition. Dug these three practically before the sun came up so it was already a good day! The hole was strange...almost like someone had laid these bottles in a low spot to bring the level of the lot up or something; they were literally side by side in the hole. Dug a second hole that ended up being a super trashy trash pit but in which unfortunately almost everything was broken. I pulled out a great little 1/2 ounce Galveston pharmacy bottle and a few other odds and ends. The hole opened up into a small barrel privy, but the privy was completely devoid of any bottles. Behind the privy I found this gorgeous emerald green rolled lip ink bottle, so was super excited to find that. At the very top of the hole was the nice crown top Marschner with the super thick base glass. Just a great day of adding to the collection-definitely went home with a smile on my face! The heartbreaker was a Peachstone Liniment from Dallas...so far as I am aware there are no intact examples of this larger size known...it's a great 1870's medicine from Texas.

Attachments

• jan8.jpg
    jan8.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 77
  • jan7.jpg
    jan7.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 81
  • jan6.jpg
    jan6.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 79
  • jan5.jpg
    jan5.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 91
  • jan4.jpg
    jan4.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 72
  • jan3.jpg
    jan3.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 86
  • jan2.jpg
    jan2.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Jan1.jpg
    Jan1.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 76

hemihampton

Reaction score
Some nice finds, Congrats. You forgot to mention straight sided Coke? LEON.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Yeah...dug a SS Galveston Coke, but badly cracked as this style usually is. They are quite scarce, so I am typically able to market them even when they are as damaged as this one is.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Been a bit busy so missed posting about my last dig back in January. My wife had COVID so I had all three of the kids with me at the dig, so it was a bit hectic haha. Nonetheless, I proved out a good-sounding hole and let my son have at it; he's getting pretty good at digging his own holes. He ended up finding a SS Galveston Coca-Cola with just one fisheye (they are hard to find with minimal damage, so this was a "win"), a San Antonio pharmacy bottle, and several Bromos and amber poison bottles. Before we filled in his hole I pulled out a sample Harter's Bitters. My younger son worked another hole and was excited to find another poison bottle. I probed out a spot that felt promising; ended up being a trash pit with some interesting stuff in it, including a Houston, Texas SS Coca-Cola (a version I have not see before), a Bayou Sara, Louisiana hutch soda (this is a cool ghost town bottle), and a bunch of other odds and ends including a few Houston Ice & Brewing bottles. My digging partner found a strange half collapsed privy and dug it out and found a bunch of cool stuff; before we filled it in I dug outside the wall a bit and found a brass bell, a couple of fairly common hutch sodas, and a JJ Schott pharmacy bottle in a variation I have not seen before. I didn't take photos of everything, but these give an idea of the finds. It was a very fun dig with the kids!

Attachments

• jan232.jpg
    jan232.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 70
  • jan231.jpg
    jan231.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 79

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members