German Half Post Decanter in Glass Works auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

div2roty

Reaction score
What you guys think of these German Half Post Decanter in Glass Work's current auction?

Here is his description:
343. Freeblown Decanter, American or English, ca. 1790 - 1820, clear glass with some of the original gold gilt decoration on the shoulder, blown using the German half-post method, 9"h, pontil scarred base, tooled lip, original hollow ground glass stopper. An area of haziness exists on one side near the base. Robert ‘Bob’ White Collection

343.jpg

And a link to the auction:
http://www.rtam.com/glassworks_2/cgi-bin/SHOWITEM.CGI

div2roty

Reaction score
Could you or would you be willing to share why you know that?

I'm just extra curious as I was the high bidder on one that American Bottle Auctions sold a while back, and then I got on here (of course after I had the bottle in my hands) and read that it was most likely (or completely likely) a fake. They took it back and refunded all of my money, including shipping both ways, which was great. But, now, I want to know or be more careful next time.

earlyglass

Reaction score
1. The form is right (a case bottle)
2. the colorless glass is accurate. Most of the glass colors of the 20th century repros are not seen in 18th century glass.
3. Still retains some of the orginal gold paint.
4. Flared lip treatment is accurate.
5. Original style for the stopper, has wear in the neck.
6. You can actually see that the glass has the right chemical makeup... you can recognize the feel and the surface. It is difficult to describe, but after a while you can see it from across a room.

I'm with Jeff... no question, even without seeing the base.

Mike

div2roty

Reaction score
Thanks Mike

I understand being able to feel the difference, but I was looking for specific clues as to how you could see the difference in one photo. The lip treatment makes sense, as does the color. Although, this makes it seem like American Bottle Auctions really should have known better before they listed the bottle as being early 1800s. But in the end it all worked out and I would still bid in their sales.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles