Getting a metal detector. Which brand do you recommend?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jbryant111

Reaction score
I have a Whites DFX 300 with a bunch of different coils, 12" deep scan, 4x6 DD, & 8x10 DD, and wouldnt use anything but!! I have had it for about 5 yrs and just love it. It was in the $1200 range, but I paid it off in no time with the finds from one site, with a ton of mid to late 1700's copper coins, rev. war buttons, and spanish silver coins too!

Detecting is my second hobby next to bottle digging, and I have been at it for a little over a decade. My advise to you is to definitely get a whites, but dont get a coinmaster. That is one of their lower end models, with very limited features, and you might end up disapointed. I would try to muster up a little more $$ and go with one of the models a little higher up the line, like the Whites MXT. Check their website, and sometimes you can get a package deal that includes headphones and a pinpointer. Another great thing about whites is that they are all American made, and anytime you have a problem or a piece break or something, you can send it in, and they fix it for free. great customer support.

And as for hunting around the creek, you dont need a water detector cause all of Whites coils are 100% submergable. so as long as you are just in shallow water, you will be all set.
In my mind, bottle digging and metal detecting go hand in hand. If you enjoy digging up bottles, you will also enjoy digging up all sorts of other treasures from the past that your detector finds! and usually you find the two in the same locations, so it all works out.
Glad you are interested in the hobby, and glad that you are choosing a Whites, I think they are definitely the best.
Good luck out there, and enjoy!

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
I agree with the mxt. I thought about the coinmaster or a prism 3 or 4, but the mxt has a TON of features.
I think what Ill do is when I go to the local hobbie store, Ill test out some and choose which one is the best and afford.

Thanks for the tip!

surfaceone

Reaction score
metal-detecting-sandals.jpg
From.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Around here the big hobby shop has a couple low end metal detectors I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy.
They sell Whites detectors at the local rental center where I bought my Stihl chainsaw...weird.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Wow! a metal detector in your shoes!

I remember they arrested some guy near here at Antietam battlefield with a metal detector in his shoe.
Dont know if it was homemade or what.
Seems a pretty foolish risk considered the likely poor payoff.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
how about the walking stick metal detector?

http://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/products/rover-uc.php?gclid=CM37pM7BpakCFUa8KgodljMbyA

athometoo

Reaction score
Finally having my first garage sale in 3 yrs . my dad brought over a metal detector garrett ultra gta 500 crosssfire supreme to sell . played with it for a few minutes and it beats the heck out of my 2 whites coinmasters . i was gonna ask 30 for it and he gave 20 at a garage sale , but on second thought i think i will keep it . love the discriminator works great . standing liberty silver shows up as a dime though .havent tried a gold ring yet. sam

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
I think I ruled out the coinmasters. Thanks for the info though.

what I might do is save up longer to get a better metal detector.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown