Ghost Labels

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

logan.the.collector

Reaction score
Since I started bottle digging years ago, I've come across many pyroglaze / ACL bottles that have been wiped clean by the elements of nature. Always thought it was cool though that most bottles have a ghost label that stays on the bottle forever. This local one I found last night has a very prominent "ghost label" that made it very easy to read even with the paint long gone.

Screenshot_20210621-204618_Instagram.jpg

YoloBottles

Reaction score
Sweet, any idea how it happens? Looks like some kind of UV damage.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Since I started bottle digging years ago, I've come across many pyroglaze / ACL bottles that have been wiped clean by the elements of nature. Always thought it was cool though that most bottles have a ghost label that stays on the bottle forever. This local one I found last night has a very prominent "ghost label" that made it very easy to read even with the paint long gone.

View attachment 226765
Never saw anything like that all of my digging in an old burn dump, what type of dump was that in.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score

View attachment 226765
They are almost like a weak acid etched label. I have an acl milk you can't see wet but dry the remnants can be seen at an angle and in the right light.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Nice and clean example there! it's more than likely a combination of things happening. ~first, as I understand it, there is some acidity in the paint used to apply the logo and advertising on the bottle. ~ second the ground may also have a high acidity level (possibly tannic acid from evergreens and other conifers in area ... or ash from coal or wood burn) which may strengthen the effect (the paint would act almost like a concentrator or conduit for the reaction). and finally when the paint is finally eliminated due to bacteria or enzymes in the soil all that is left is the very fine and faint ghost of the original ACL or pyroglazing ...(it is something I think someone else brought to us using the info from various ACL producing company histories)
Always a neat topic,
~Fred
@logan.the.collector

Last edited:

logan.the.collector

Reaction score
Bruh, I'm always, ALWAYS glad to find a local with anything...and that one is cool af
~Fred
@logan.the.collector
I certainly will never complain over finding a local bottle even in this condition. Yesterday I dug a Saranac Lake NY milk like this too, very different than what I am used to finding

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi