Ghosted, or hologram label?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

embe

Reaction score
Found a ghost label when unpacking some bottles today, I agree it would have originally been an ACL that got worn away.

Attachments

• 20210814_153554_HDR.jpg
    20210814_153554_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 140

logan.the.collector

Reaction score
The Acl's in my area get destroyed for some reason. Always missing most of the color. That is definitely a ghosted label. Most Acl milk bottles around here look similar to that. This milk is supposed to be a red and white Acl. I know because I was the one that wiped it off while cleaning. Totally looks acid etched.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Woah, a New City bottle? I have a friend from there who has been trying to identify different varieties from there. Do you happen to have any other New City bottles?

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Woah, a New City bottle? I have a friend from there who has been trying to identify different varieties from there. Do you happen to have any other New City bottles?
No, this is it for New City, N.Y. I have a quart Whites Farm embossed milk from Valley Cottage, N.Y. and an art deco crowntop from Suffern, N.Y. I think it is a Sweeney beverages.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Cute lill milk bottle, though. Is that a half pint? Not that it’s my thing but I ended up with some milk bottles. And like every part of bottle collecting, there’s a lot more to it, than at first glance. I am finding them even harder to look up-little obscure dairies long gone. And I don’t think they have been a big deal for as long as some. (Or is that just me not noticing?) I never saw truckloads at the bottle shows anyway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think the degree to which milk bottles are collected is a regional thing. Around here the ACL milks have been in hot demand for a long time, to an almost absurd degree. It's at the point where there are almost no ACL milks (excluding the newer square ones) from Ontario that a normal person can afford. The absolute cheapest start around $30 or so, and $100+ is more typical to see at the bottle shows. Meanwhile it seems like a lot of the time in the US there isn't much interest in them at all. And yes they're very difficult to look up, often there's no information on a local dairy at all, or just one or two obscure references here and there. Without a town name it can get nearly impossible to look them up if they didn't originate in the town where you found them.

relic rescuer

Reaction score
I have a WW2 era 7 Up like that. I found out the hard way, that if you get excited and clean off a dug bottle with an ACL right away, without letting it dry first, you will wipe it right off. Red seems to go away regardless.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I have a WW2 era 7 Up like that. I found out the hard way, that if you get excited and clean off a dug bottle with an ACL right away, without letting it dry first, you will wipe it right off. Red seems to go away regardless.
I thought it was the other way around. When it’s wet it’s strong, and when it dries it becomes flaky. ACLs are the degenerates of bottles, period. Too hard to maintain, clean, & preserve. I like my bottles to have permanent features and shy away from painted or paper labeled bottles.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yes red would make it pop. Makes me wonder about some of the etched seltzer bottles I have. Maybe bad Acl's.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I bought a seltzer a while ago thinking it was a bad etching job but turned out to be a worn off ACL. I didn't realize ACL seltzers existed back then (I don't think we get them here in Canada, this was a US one) so wasn't thinking to look out for them. With more experience the difference is pretty easy to tell from the ones I've seen, the etching is very rough to the touch and much bolder than the missing ACL, which can be hard to see if you aren't standing close to it. The etched bottles can be read from some distance though.

relic rescuer

Reaction score
I thought it was the other way around. When it’s wet it’s strong, and when it dries it becomes flaky. ACLs are the degenerates of bottles, period. Too hard to maintain, clean, & preserve. I like my bottles to have permanent features and shy away from painted or paper labeled bottles.
Would you disturb wet paint? How can it be stronger when wet? I'm glad I found out the hard way on the 7UP, and not the much rarer Campbell Bros. That one is my fav, by far.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp