Gills

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

logan.the.collector

Reaction score
I have always been fascinated with tiny gills, aka the quarter pint- and I finally got a hold of one this year. Its a 1942 Altamont Milk Co Slug Plate from Carthage, NY. Would have been cooler if it was one from my hometown where the company started, but not bad for my first one!
Screenshot_20201230-105616_Instagram.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
Very cool! I love them as well and was very excited to dig one a few years ago from Galveston

Harubaji

Reaction score
I have a special affection for these little milk bottles as well. I have heard varying explanations about their usage such as that they were used to serve milk to children at schools and also that they were used for cream (the smaller bottle size seeming appropriate for both of the above uses). Does anyone else have knowledge or information about the history and usage of the gill and 1/4 pint size milk bottles? I also wonder if past a certain time period that milk companies stopped utilizing this size bottle.

logan.the.collector

Reaction score
I have a special affection for these little milk bottles as well. I have heard varying explanations about their usage such as that they were used to serve milk to children at schools and also that they were used for cream (the smaller bottle size seeming appropriate for both of the above uses). Does anyone else have knowledge or information about the history and usage of the gill and 1/4 pint size milk bottles? I also wonder if past a certain time period that milk companies stopped utilizing this size bottle.
I have also heard they were used for cream, and my grandmother remembers drinking out of them when she was in kindergarten, so I guess they had multiple uses depending on the company. Somewhere on the internet I read milk companies agreed to phase these out in 1924 but that's not true for a lot of companies. I have seen 1950s ACL ones as well and even tinier creamers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Csa

Csa

Reaction score
Post a pic of an amber milk. Never seen that, nor a 6oz of any kind. What is that called “gill and a half”

Csa

Reaction score
Just wow! Great stuff. I love the cobalt and red milks too. Are those Amber mason jars on bottom right?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger