Gin Bottle with Asterisk on bottom

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Found it !
Search "Melchers" or better yet:
[/URL]
Thanks for the link! That's interesting, looks like there was a Melcher's in Montreal and a Melcher's in Schiedam, not sure how exactly they were connected or if the companies are even related. Based on the labels it looks like they were using crude applied top case gins and ABM case gins around the same time, I'm guessing the applied top ones were imported from Europe because the labels on some of them look too modern to date from the era when Canadian glasshouses were using techniques like that.
This is the only one of theirs I've been able to find which we can be certain made in Canada https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/melchers-canadian-geneva-maple-leaf-1786825877, but it wouldn't surprise me if all the other ABM ones were as well - maybe even used side by side with the applied top gins depending on which supplier they were getting a shipment from. I've got a De Kuyper ABM mini case gin which I think might be made in Canada as well, not marked on the base but looks similar to ABM bottles of that era.
I wonder if there are any pre-ABM case gins which we can be confident were made in Canada. I would expect them to have tooled lips if they were made after the 1880s or so, but can't remember seeing a tooled lip case gin before.

American

Reaction score
I don't know the manufacturer but it's a common mark on a common bottle, I've had many of them that I've sold...
Most of us probably bought one when we first started collecting, tried to sell it and then ended up giving it away.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado