Ginger Ale Bottles wanted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

celerycola

Reaction score
Nevin Frank was sued by Coca-Cola in 1926 for labeling their own cola with Coca-Cola labels.

squirtbob

Reaction score
Yes, 1939 is the bottle date. You are correct the 6oz must mean "minimum" as the Rum's Dry bottle holds 7 oz.
ORIGINAL: Ginger Ale collector

Hi Squirtbob,

My Rum's Dry is "6 oz." also. Must be the same vintage bottle, although I'm never sure I read the bottom of the bottle correctly. Mine has 3, then the Owens Illinois mark, and then 9. Is that 1939? On the size, I always get fooled between what's embossed and the actual size of the bottle. When you put the Rum's "6 oz." next to one labeled 7 oz., there's no discernible difference in size. But when I really read the embossing on the Rum's it has "Min. contents 6 oz." So it could hold 7 oz., I suppose. Thank for the nice words on the collection. I decided years ago to focus on a category nobody else seemed interested in. Well, 30 years later. . . ;-). Ken

384A071EE8C246E89E4D0841FFBC2365.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
The bottle from Henry Maillard (a famous grocer in NYC) is embossed on the bottom with the AB "run together" which I believe is the Anheuser Busch mark.
Most likely American Bottling Company...

â– AB (letters attached) Co………..American Bottle Company (1905-1929). See also A.B.CO. mark. This and the above mark were attributed to Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company by Julian Toulouse. Recent research (by Bill Lockhart, Alamogordo, NM) has indicated that the American Bottle Company was the actual source of bottles with the “AB†(letters attached) and “AB CO†marks. (Although, to be fair, I have received emails from a researcher who disagrees with Bill Lockhart’s findings. He asserts that the AB [connected] mark was indeed used by Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company even before the incorporation of American Bottle Company in late 1905, and he came to that conclusion because of (what he believes to be accurate research findings concerning) beginning/ending dates of operation of certain soda bottling companies that were located in Minnesota during that period of time).Perhaps time will settle this question for certain, but for now I am going with the American Bottle Company attribution. Since the “AB connected letters†mark is also found followed by the letters “CO†this would seem to indicate that the actual name of the company in question would have to conform to the “A B CO†initials’ “structure†i.e., American Bottle Company. In other words, Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company, as far as I know, was never known as the “Adolphus Busch Companyâ€!!An additional note: The “AB†and “A.B.CO†marks are also frequently misunderstood by collectors to mean âœAnheuser-Buschâ€, which is definitely incorrect.

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: celerycola

Nevin Frank was sued by Coca-Cola in 1926 for labeling their own cola with Coca-Cola labels.
Hi Celerycola,

Thanks for the info. Here are all the Nevin Franks ginger ales I have. The one on the left is Montana Dry- tough to get the entire label in the picture. I guess they figured since Montana was so big, they'd make the label to match. The one in the middle might be the 1920's era which might be the same time that they got sued.

Ken

4047502442F947318B824EFB62C1269C.jpg

Attachments

• 4047502442F947318B824EFB62C1269C.jpg
    4047502442F947318B824EFB62C1269C.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 107

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

The bottle from Henry Maillard (a famous grocer in NYC) is embossed on the bottom with the AB "run together" which I believe is the Anheuser Busch mark.
Most likely American Bottling Company...

â– AB (letters attached) Co………..American Bottle Company (1905-1929). See also A.B.CO. mark. This and the above mark were attributed to Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company by Julian Toulouse. Recent research (by Bill Lockhart, Alamogordo, NM) has indicated that the American Bottle Company was the actual source of bottles with the “AB†(letters attached) and “AB CO†marks. (Although, to be fair, I have received emails from a researcher who disagrees with Bill Lockhart’s findings. He asserts that the AB [connected] mark was indeed used by Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company even before the incorporation of American Bottle Company in late 1905, and he came to that conclusion because of (what he believes to be accurate research findings concerning) beginning/ending dates of operation of certain soda bottling companies that were located in Minnesota during that period of time).Perhaps time will settle this question for certain, but for now I am going with the American Bottle Company attribution. Since the “AB connected letters†mark is also found followed by the letters “CO†this would seem to indicate that the actual name of the company in question would have to conform to the “A B CO†initials’ “structure†i.e., American Bottle Company. In other words, Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company, as far as I know, was never known as the “Adolphus Busch Companyâ€!!An additional note: The “AB†and “A.B.CO†marks are also frequently misunderstood by collectors to mean “Anheuser-Buschâ€, which is definitely incorrect.
Hi epackage,

Thanks for putting me on understanding more about the AB(connected) mark. The entry you listed above from David Whitten's great website on bottle marks has been updated. It appears that the AB connected mark on my labelled ginger ale was more likely to be Adolphus Busch Glass Manufacturing Company. Apparently, according to David, there has been some new evidence on the discussion. Check it out at http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks/#ABCDEF

In the meantime, thanks again. Here's the bottom of my bottle. No one is quite sure what the X 6 means yet.

Ken

2D6F8705D7914196950D9663CCD4C4CE.jpg

Attachments

• 2D6F8705D7914196950D9663CCD4C4CE.jpg
    2D6F8705D7914196950D9663CCD4C4CE.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 103

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello all,

Here's a ginger ale I'd love to add to my collection. So I'll put the word out on the forum. It's from Pottsville, PA. It comes in aqua, which I have. Anyone seen one of these? Here's the link to where the photo is from, Tod von Meechow's great site : http://www.sodasandbeers.com/SABShowBottle.aspx?Bottle=54517AA&Firm_Number=54517

8B0B5A7DE4E946ABB6F431DDD2A80959.jpg

Attachments

• 8B0B5A7DE4E946ABB6F431DDD2A80959.jpg
    8B0B5A7DE4E946ABB6F431DDD2A80959.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 94

hemihampton

Reaction score
Anybody ever see one of these? Ginger Ale cone top. LEON.

2A2119EC40294F50A3DFC97A32445743.jpg

Attachments

• 2A2119EC40294F50A3DFC97A32445743.jpg
    2A2119EC40294F50A3DFC97A32445743.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 95

morbious_fod

Reaction score

Hi John,

Here's another example of a company going from the paper label to the ACL. Berkley Springs was famous for their springwater up in the WVA mountains. A lot of the sodawater companies started out as springwater bottlers and when they started getting competition from the "city" bottlers for customers, they branched out into soda- figuring that soda made with their springwater had to be better than that made with city water. And a lot of customers agreed- so you'll see many bottler's names associated with "Springs" or Mineral Water. White Rock soda started out as White Rock Mineral Water Company. Lots of others too.

Bz79337.gif

Awesome Berkley Spring paper label. Didn't know there was one.

morbious_fod

Reaction score

Hello all-

During my travels have picked up a couple of interesting ginger ales. Here's one that has quite a bit of history, and what appears to be some "artistic" license taken on the label art work. It's from Chicago, ILL, but the subject matter is in northern Georgia. Whomever owned the Citrus Products Company in Chicago was a southern patriot as the label is the Civil War Memorial in Stone Mountain Georgia. This is an interesting story, as it took 60 years to complete, finally done in 1972. While the carving shows none of the horse's legs, it turns out the bottle label reflects the original design. The bottom half of the design was scrapped to save time! The bottle label was made before the carving was finished without the legs. If you want to read more about this- go here: http://ngeorgia.com/attractions/stonemountaincarving.html

You never know where a ginger ale bottle will take you!

3217E8A1DC424A16898D2725F30B4C73.jpg

A local bottler bottled this brand in a bottle with Stone Mountain embossed in the shoulder. Of course to futher confuse things we have a bottler a few counties away named Stone Mountain Bottling Company so we were left wondering for a long time if there was a connection. That was until I found out that Stone Mountain Ginger Ale is actually a product of the Citrus Products Company of Chicago, they are better known for their Kist and Blue Bird brands. With that Johnson City bottler being the Quality Orange Kist Company, it all fell into place. I purchased salesman book of Kist bottling labels and of course there was the very label on your bottle.

morbious_fod

Reaction score

Hi Squirtbob,

That's a great Par-T-Pak! Too bad it is already spoken for. What also is interesting is the back of the bottle showing the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. It looked familiar to me and it was. The Rum's Dry Ginger Ale brand, like Par-T-Pak was a NEHI brand. The 7 oz ACL I have shows the sale GH seal, and in fact the same "Serial Number", 4897. Some years ago, being a an inquisitive fellow, I wrote to the Good Housekeeping folks and asked if they knew anything about #4897 and if they had any of the testing results. "Oh we didn't keep those old records. . ." Oh, well. Would have been nice. I did learn that the outfit has been around since 1909. I've never seen another brand with the GH seal. Here are the Rum's Dry's: Left is the 7 oz, then a 10 oz version and finally a 6.5 oz Golden variety.

5D3D1557A5A4462A9EC0E0CE28FD8500.jpg

You're killin' me with that 1939 Bluefield VA Rums Dry. I have the 1938 version with the older duller acl, and the 1940 without the Good Housekeeping seal. Now you have me wanting that 1939 with the bright acl. Crap. LOL!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp