Ginger Ale thread and news from Ginger Ale Collector

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello all,

It has been a while since I added anything to the Ginger Ale thread started so many years ago. On the beautiful new Antique Bottle Net website old threads are "locked" which prevents me adding to it. I suppose it was time to retire it. Thanks to all who visited it and participated, it was great fun and without you, it would not exist.

However, there is some news to catch up on. This past July 2013 I participated in the FOHBC's national show in Manchester, NH with a display. It caused quite a stir as many collectors were not aware of the wide variety of ginger ale bottles. But dedicated ABN readers already knew this with the long-running thread on ginger ale.

To see pictures of the display and some additional articles I've posted on Peachridge glass, see http://www.peachridgeglas...le-page-ken-previtali/

For ABN folks who haven't seen the original Ginger Ale thread- it is here:
http://www.antique-bottle...les-wanted-m30298.aspx

Ken (Ginger Ale Collector)

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello Ken, Great pages on Ginger Ale!! I have a bottle I cannot find any information about and no obvious markings to let me know where this bottle is from. Perhaps you will know ? Thanks for any help. Kevin...

Attachments

• d38d8cba40324ce8bcea5105b221c711.jpg
    d38d8cba40324ce8bcea5105b221c711.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 100

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello lblackvelvet, That bottle has been in my collection for years and to date, no one has been able to tell me either where it is from. The only clue I've had over the years is that I've seen it for sale on eBay twice, and unless my memory fails me, the people listing the bottle were both from Canada, but that's just circumstantial. I don't have the bottle handy, but if it was a OI (Owens Illinois) bottle, and if you haven't already tried, you could go to great lengths and contact OI (they have a website) and see if they have archives of the acls they produced. Some companies have very helpful company historians. Good luck.

dw3000

Reaction score
If it's Canadian, it would more than likely have a 'D' inside a diamond on the base.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Hi Ginger Ale Ken. I miss the old 17 page post. Here is a Pic of my Buddy's old Ginger Ale bottle with original paper label. Appears to be from late 1800's. Do you know anything about this bottle? if it's rare or what it's worth? Any info appreciated. THANKS, LEON.

Attachments

• 6400ef74cf8d4645b21676de7db8d04d.jpg
    6400ef74cf8d4645b21676de7db8d04d.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 109

hemihampton

Reaction score
Another pic. Top of Label say's "GLENDALE MINERAL SPRINGS WATER CO." & at bottom say's "EVERETT, MASS" Back side of bottle is Embossed with what looks like STANDARD BOTTLING CO. BOSTON MASS. THANKS, LEON.

Attachments

• ec3cfd46a1e8419e9701f8aa4ed3f60c.jpg
    ec3cfd46a1e8419e9701f8aa4ed3f60c.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 123

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello Leon- I miss the old post also- but we are on to another now. Regarding your Glendale Springs labelled bottle, it's a funny thing. . . I have the same label, but it is on another round bottom bottle, a Vincent Hathaway from Boston, not a Standard Bottling Co., like yours. Many bottlers "liberated" other companies' bottles and put their own paper labels on. It appears that Glendale did this. I saw one other example of the "marriage" with a Hathaway bottle on eBay a while ago, so with yours we have three examples of Glendale's use of others' bottles. What is common to all the labels is the statement "Connected by Telephone" and there is a single number I believe. This is the earliest example of a telephone reference on a soda bottle label I have seen. One might think then, that late 1800s would be too early a date. However, the first regular telephone line from Boston to Somerville, Massachusetts was completed in 1877 and by 1880, there were 47,900 telephones in the United States. With Everett, Mass. being just four miles as the crow flies from Somerville, just across the Mystic River, the late 1800s date for the label could be accurate. The bottles could be earlier. So Glendale Co. was a progressive enterprise in its time, and perhaps paid the cost of the telephone service with the savings they achieved by using others' bottles. Who knows? As far as value, the aqua round bottom bottles vary. I have not seen the Standard Bottling Co, with the flag very often on a round bottom. In perfect condition, perhaps $25-30, but there's always a chance someone might pay more. The label is of interest, but doesn't add a lot of value to the bottle because it doesn't match. It could be of interest to a localized collector. Now if the bottle was embossed Glendale Springs instead, with the same label, then it all changes. Ken

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
dw3000 said:
If it's Canadian, it would more than likely have a 'D' inside a diamond on the base.
dw3000, of course you are right, if the bottle was made in Canada by Owens Illinois, it would more than likely have the diamond "D". However, it is possible that a Canadian bottler might have used a bottle not made in Canada. But, I think it is more likely that I did not recall correctly where the ebay listings where located, and even if they both were from Canada, that still could be a coincidence that doesn't shed any light on the mystery lblackvelvet wants to solve. One clue lblackvelvet did not mention is that the bottle does have "Coca-cola Bottling Co." on it. Maybe the Coke Folks have more insight into where the Sparking Ginger Ale acl is from.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello Ken and thanks for your reply, I checked my bottle and it has 6 LGW 2 & 2788 on the bottom of the bottle. It's not a huge deal, I just like to know some history of each bottle I own. Thanks again. Kevin...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu